Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Canceled flights, Checked Baggage and stranded

amsands
Explorer C

First off, none of these boards seems to be the right one but I had to select a location. This may be wrong and I'll have to post more than once.  I was scheduled to fly from FLL to BNA (Nashville/home) the morning of 2/14/21.  I received cancelation (due to snow at BNA) text as I arrived , ran to check in and was rescheduled for a flight 4 hrs later on stand-by. When I arrived for that flight, I was forced to check my suitcase. I asked what would happen if I didn't get on the flight and was told that the bag would be removed.  I had to wait until the last minute to learn that I did not get on the flight so the plane left while I was at the gate.  I told the gate attendant that I was stranded with no place to stay, no vehicle, no luggage, no clothes, toiletries or medicine.  

I called SWA and there was 120 min wait each time to speak to a rep. I sent messages via tweet and posted on their Facebook page with no responses.

For the next couple of days I booked flights that were canceled. Finally, I booked through another airline which got me home. This was frustrating, I was stressed out, couldn't sleep without meds which I was trying, terribly anxious.

I spoke to SWA after getting home on 2/28. The rep asked me why I didn't call when it happened. I told him about the hold time but he was just rude. The airfare was supposedly refunded but I was told to call another CS number to ask about reimbursement for purchasing something to wear, toiletries, transport and lodging.  I called this number, 855-234-4654, and there was an indefinite wait.  I held for 30 min both times I've called.  I am back at work and don't have time for these nonsensical hold times.  I'm asking someone to please help me out here.

*Note that I understand that SWA is not responsible for weather.  It's the way this was handled and not handled that warrants retribution.  This has been the worst customer service I have ever seen.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Canceled flights, Checked Baggage and stranded

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

It's unfortunate that your bags left without you. I've learned that in these uncertain situations involving weather or standby, it is best to carry on. But I also know you don't always have that choice.

Given the wait times you are experiencing to talk with someone, you might choose an alternative method. You can see all the ways to contact customer relations here.

Finally, I am not sure that SW will take any action for compensation beyond the refund of your flight because airlines are not at fault for weather-related issues.

Hopefully one of the contact methods will work our for you. Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

amsands
Explorer C

I appreciate the message. I said in my post that swa is not responsible for weather and that I've exhausted all the ways to contact someone at sw. While they don't control weather, they are responsible for requiring me to check luggage against my will and judgement, not retrieving it when I couldn't board and not being available to help. I didn't plan this either and I was returning home. This is paramount to your telling me I shouldnt have been somewhere after being robbed. This is the same attitude I got from the guy who asked me why I didn't call at the time it happened. I guess I'll have to snail mail a letter. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@amsands wrote:

I appreciate the message. I said in my post that swa is not responsible for weather and that I've exhausted all the ways to contact someone at sw. While they don't control weather, they are responsible for requiring me to check luggage against my will and judgement, not retrieving it when I couldn't board and not being available to help. I didn't plan this either and I was returning home. This is paramount to your telling me I shouldnt have been somewhere after being robbed. This is the same attitude I got from the guy who asked me why I didn't call at the time it happened. I guess I'll have to snail mail a letter. 

Your frustration is completely understandable considering your experience. It's unfortunate, but sometimes things like this happen. Now, with schedules cut way back and staff spread thin, more so than ever. Not a justification, just a statement.

You may still receive a (delayed) reply from one of your messages, but it couldn't hurt to send a snail-mail letter. Be aware though, that, as noted above, it's unlikely Southwest would compensate, due to the situation being triggered by weather. But it's at least worth having your complaint heard.

Good luck.

amsands
Explorer C

Thank you so much for your compassion.  I realize that SW, themselves, is not necessarily going to respond here.  I absolutely will send snail mail.  It was just a very bad situation. I was traveling to be with an ill family member.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@amsands wrote:

Thank you so much for your compassion.  I realize that SW, themselves, is not necessarily going to respond here.

They won’t for customer service, the premise of the community here is customer-to-customer support. 

Telling you that they would pull your bag, and then not pulling it, that’s definitely worth discussing. In the future don’t put any medicine or urgently needed things in the checked bag, even under regular circumstances. 

I hope things settle down and your Family member is recovering. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@amsands wrote:

This is paramount to your telling me I shouldnt have been somewhere after being robbed. This is the same attitude I got from the guy who asked me why I didn't call at the time it happened. I guess I'll have to snail mail a letter. 

Nice way to attack someone offering some advice for the next time you travel so hopefully you wouldn't be in this same situation.  If you consider the large number of other people affected by the same snow storm also calling in for help I don't think the hold time is unexpected.  Would you suggest Southwest have teams of agents waiting, doing nothing 90% of the time just so they can answer calls without making people wait during the 10% of the time when there is a major weather event?  Yeah, I get that it's no fun to wait on hold, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.  I hope they are able to offer you some compensation when you do get in touch with someone.

--TheMiddleSeat

amsands
Explorer C

I just apologized to Elijah.  I'm new here and I thought he was SW.  Thanks for the response.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

We are a customer community here — just trying to help out! 🙂

Here’s to hoping you will get the response you need from the SW team and that your family member gets better!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

amsands
Explorer C

Elijah, please accept my apology as this is my first time here and, looking at this on my mobile, as the first response, I thought you were Southwest.

Thank you for your advice.