Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry On Bags - Do the Wheels Count?

Cuckoosrus
New Arrival

I understand carry on bags can be 16 x 10 x 24....but does that include the wheels? I'm finding different answers. Some say yes, while others say no that the handles and wheels are considered an extruding part? I normally just check my bags, but due to potential weather/flight delays I want to carry on only so that everything is with me in the event my connecting right is affected.  Help!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Carry On Bags - Do the Wheels Count?

FlyWithLUV

You'll find a measuring box like this at the airport:

wp_20140908_005.jpeg

The box itself does consider the wheels to be a part of the dimensions of the bag. The same goes for the overhead bins as well. Personally, I would make sure that the entire suitcase, including wheels, matches those dimensions for it to be a carry-on. I'm sure there may be some leeway when it comes to the dimensions, but I would try to not be in that gray area. I don't think Southwest agents will physically measure your bag, but the overhead bins do only have a limited amount of space and you want to make sure your bag fits completely.

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

In reality, no one is going to measure your bag. If it's reasonably close to traditional carry-on size you'll be fine.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Top Contributor
Solution

To answer your question: wheels do not count.