Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carry On Bags - Do the Wheels Count?

Cuckoosrus
Explorer C

I understand carry on bags can be 16 x 10 x 24....but does that include the wheels? I'm finding different answers. Some say yes, while others say no that the handles and wheels are considered an extruding part? I normally just check my bags, but due to potential weather/flight delays I want to carry on only so that everything is with me in the event my connecting right is affected.  Help!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Carry On Bags - Do the Wheels Count?

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C

You'll find a measuring box like this at the airport:

wp_20140908_005.jpeg

The box itself does consider the wheels to be a part of the dimensions of the bag. The same goes for the overhead bins as well. Personally, I would make sure that the entire suitcase, including wheels, matches those dimensions for it to be a carry-on. I'm sure there may be some leeway when it comes to the dimensions, but I would try to not be in that gray area. I don't think Southwest agents will physically measure your bag, but the overhead bins do only have a limited amount of space and you want to make sure your bag fits completely.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In reality, no one is going to measure your bag. If it's reasonably close to traditional carry-on size you'll be fine.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

To answer your question: wheels do not count.

ajaynejr
Explorer C

I beg to differ. Protruding handles, wheels, etc. do count. Set the suitcase on a hard floor. Take a large book and hold it level, resting on the highest part (usually the handle) You may press down not too hard. Measure from the underside of the book down to the floor.

If you got away with exceeding the allowable size then the check in agent cut you some slack, either by not calling you aside to measure, or letting you exceed the allowable size.

Note that I believe that a bulge should not count if you turned the suitcase upside down and the bulge went away or moved to another place on the suitcase, or if you pushed on it (using the book) and the bulge went away.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Why not just check the back and be done with it?