Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chances of an Earlier Connection

CHSFlyer
Explorer C

Hi All,

Not an A-list member and did not purchase business select.  I am connecting through Denver on Friday with a flight to LAX.  My layover is 4 hours but i see an earlier flight that departs 40mins after my connection lands (3.5 hours before my scheduled flight).  

Because of the tight window, this connecting flight was not available to book online.  When i check each flight individually, the earlier DEN-LAX flight is cheaper than my flight.

I know Southwest has no standby, but since im mid-connection i was wondering if i had any chance to board the earlier flight.  I wont be able to cancel and rebook bc i am mid-connection (despite this flight being cheaper than my scheduled flight).  

I tried calling SW and they basically they didnt know how it would work since i was mid-connection.  So i thought id try here!

TY,

CHS Flyer

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Chances of an Earlier Connection

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you already know the standard answer which is standby on earlier flights is only available for A-List and Anytime or Business Select fare passengers.  Your situation is interesting though in that you don't actually have the opportunity to book the flight you want and thus cannot just pay the fare difference which is what would normally be required in this situation.  One way to give you the opportunity would be to upgrade to the Anytime fare, but that seems like an expensive option for what would still be a "maybe".  I can only suggest you ask at the gate of the 2nd flight and make it known you would be willing to pay the fare difference, but that was not an option available to you due to the short layover.  Report back and let us know how it goes.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Could you book point to point? A-B and B-C with the connection being short I’m not sure if the system will auto cancel though so that would be a risk since you would have 2 reservations on the same day 

I think the minimum connection (for SW) in DEN is 45min which is why it won’t let you book as a one way reservation. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@CHSFlyer wrote:

Hi All,

Not an A-list member and did not purchase business select.  I am connecting through Denver on Friday with a flight to LAX.  My layover is 4 hours but i see an earlier flight that departs 40mins after my connection lands (3.5 hours before my scheduled flight).  

Because of the tight window, this connecting flight was not available to book online.  When i check each flight individually, the earlier DEN-LAX flight is cheaper than my flight.

I know Southwest has no standby, but since im mid-connection i was wondering if i had any chance to board the earlier flight.  I wont be able to cancel and rebook bc i am mid-connection (despite this flight being cheaper than my scheduled flight).  

I tried calling SW and they basically they didnt know how it would work since i was mid-connection.  So i thought id try here!

TY,

CHS Flyer

The main problem will be on the day of travel the cost of the flight may still be less than the day of travel cost of your booked flight, but the criteria is the cost of the proposed change compared to what you already paid so there might be a fare difference the day of travel even if the earlier flight is cheaper based on current price.

Also keep scouting it out - before you leave see if you can buy eight tickets on that other leg - if so then you know there are at least eight empty seats. (Tip previously from @bec102896 ) and you should hustle on over there. 

That said, since you couldn't originally book it due to the timing I'd see how it goes on the day of travel and if you get to the gate in time after all go ahead and ask, you might get a little LUV. 

I'm pretty sure back in the day before the current standby rules were formalized I had asked to standby onto an earlier flight that was empty getting myself off of a later flight that was full and they were happy to move me over.

If it doesn't work out then at least DEN is a large airport with many places to eat while you wait. 

Good luck!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

CHSFlyer
Explorer C

Thank you all, will let you know how it goes!

Not checking any luggage so maybe will get lucky and get some sympathy.