Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Change flights - need security check ? or check bags again ?

santoshturangi
Explorer C

I 'm planning to take a US domestic flight from PHL-SLC and there is a change in flight in DEN for a lay over of 2h 10min. 

1. Do I have to pick up my checked in bags and check then again in DEN to fly to SLC ? If the first question answer is 'NO', then my bags will be directly sent to SLC ?

2. Do I have to go through security check again in DEN ?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Change flights - need security check ? or check bags again ?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

As long as you booked the flights as one single reservation the bags will be checked all the way through to your final destination and you will not go through security again. Lots of food options in Denver and an Amex Centurion lounge if you have access. Enjoy the trip.

--TheMiddleSeat

santoshturangi
Explorer C

Thank you for your quick response. This is a great relief that I don’t have to worry about checking the bags and mainly the security check. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@santoshturangi wrote:

I 'm planning to take a US domestic flight from PHL-SLC and there is a change in flight in DEN for a lay over of 2h 10min. 

1. Do I have to pick up my checked in bags and check then again in DEN to fly to SLC ? If the first question answer is 'NO', then my bags will be directly sent to SLC ?

2. Do I have to go through security check again in DEN ?

You can verify this for yourself when you check in at PHL that the tags applied to the luggage will say "SLC" on them.

You would only have to retrieve the bags and go back through security if you were international and needed to go through customs, or if you booked separate tickets. (In some cases you still may be able to check luggage through with separate tickets.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

santoshturangi
Explorer C

Loved the way you responded that I don’t have to go through the security check for domestic travel.