Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changed Departure Flight - Lost Early Bird

tuckershe
Explorer C

I changed my departure flight via phone and the SW rep confirmed that my EB originally purchased remained on the changed flight. When I received my email confirmation of the change, the EB wording was not included like my original confirm which caused alarm.

I checked with SW customer service via email to verify that I had EB on both the departure & return flights for all passengers under the reservation. I received a reply that I did have EB and I could verify by viewing My Account/My Trip and looking for the EB symbols.

After viewing my trip on the website, I do see the EB symbols referenced but I also see the option to add Early Bird under the reservation. This caused me doubt - so I clicked the add button to investigate. I see on the next screen that I have the option to purchase EB for $15.00 per passenger for the recently changed departure flight...but EB is showing for all passengers for the return flight.

This confirms to me that I have lost Early Bird (but paid for it) on the departure flight. How do I get SW to acknowledge/see that it's not on the departure flight & get EB back on that flight too? 

Thank you in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Changed Departure Flight - Lost Early Bird

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It doesn't technically mean that you lost it. The conversion to the new "next generation reservation system" is causing a lot of issues, and is likely the culprit here. When you made the change, did the confirmation number change? If so, then the EBCI would not have carried over automatically -- it would have had to have been added back in manually by the phone rep. Which may be causing the weirdness. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do except perhaps call again and ask for clarification. Be sure to note that the system will allow you to add it to the outbound so that they can look into it closer. Good luck.

tuckershe
Explorer C

Confirm number is the same. Unfortunately, the phone rep had me on hold for +30 minutes trying to confirm on her side that EB was showing up. She finally came back saying her supervisor said the EB was on the reservation. I don't have warm fuzzies about this. I'm traveling with a child so EB is really needed on this reservation.  Thanks for your reply.

tuckershe
Explorer C

To follow-up: I'm glad I went with my gut feeling. After a 45 minute call with SW customer service (2nd call + 2 emails later)...it was confirmed that EB did fall off the changed departure flight. It was put back on by SW today. I did confirm by sending myself an itinerary from the website. The emailed itinerary did have the EB wording that was missing from the previous version. Also, the add EB button is no longer an option under My Account/My Trip. 

franktravel
Aviator B

"If an EarlyBird Check-In Customer chooses to change a flight, will the EarlyBird Check-In options transfer to the new flight?"

"It depends. EarlyBird Check-In is tied to the Customer’s reservation for which the EarlyBird Check-In purchase was made and will be transferred to the Customer’s new flight if he/she changes the flight at least 25 hours prior to the original flight’s scheduled departure time and so long as the change is to a flight that will depart in more than 25 hours. Since EarlyBird Check-In is associated with a reservation, any changes must be made within the same reservation record (same confirmation number) in which the Customer purchased EarlyBird Check-In."

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Glad you were persistent. Unfortunately, with the booking systems conversion underway, it's become apparent that the usual "rules" are worthless right now. Many apparently unexpected issues are creeping up, and many have to be handled manually. The infamous Southwest "glitch" has taken on a whole new meaning. 😉