Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Changing planes

ysan92
Explorer C

Hello, I haven't flown Southwest since Covid and in years. I'm flying with my husband. My questions go with, we are making a plane change during our duration. 1) Is it still correct that Southwest doesn't assign seats? If that is the case, is there a chance that during the plane change we will not be able to sit together? OR are seats assigned when you check-in? 2) I saw somewhere that you can check in 24 hours prior to your flight leaving, is that correct? And I'm assuming via your phone? Sorry again for my stupidity, but it has really been forever since I have flown Southwest. Thank you in advance to those of you that help me out. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Changing planes

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

No assigned seats.  Boarding positions can be obtained 24 hours prior to departure of the first flight so check in either on a computer or phone as close to 24 hours before your first flight as possible.  You will also get boarding positions for the 2nd leg of the trip when you check-in.  Yes, it is possible you do not get to sit together, although this is very unlikely if you check-in as I've stated.  Enjoy your trip.

--TheMiddleSeat

ysan92
Explorer C

Thank you for the helpful information. 

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

The gate is  at front door so the front passengers make connections 1st