Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Check-In counter opens at 5:00am. Flight departs at 5:45am. How am I supposed to check bags in time?

jwilkotz1
Explorer C

I'm taking an early flight out of Miami on Thursday and I need to check my bags. According to Southwest's website, the check-in counter opens at 5:00am. How am I supposed to check my bags, go through security, and run to my gate in less than 45 minutes? Is this a joke or am I missing some critical piece of information? For reference, here is where it says that MIAs check-in counter opens at 5:00am: https://www.southwest.com/html/air/airport-information.html

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Check-In counter opens at 5:00am. Flight departs at 5:45am. How am I supposed to check bags in t

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

MIA has self-tagging option, which allows you to print and tag your own bags and just drop them off at the designated spots at the airport (in your case, MIA)

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/products/selftagging.html

Re: Check-In counter opens at 5:00am. Flight departs at 5:45am. How am I supposed to check bags in t

jwilkotz1
Explorer C

Self-tagging still requires an attendant to be present to receive the bag, no?

ipsedixit
Frequent Flyer C

@jwilkotz1 wrote:

Self-tagging still requires an attendant to be present to receive the bag, no?

No, you just drop it off at the designated area after affixing the tags.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Typically counters open 90 minutes prior to first flight during the week, and sometimes 120 minutes prior to first flight on the weekend.  Since that's not what the page says you could reach out to Southwest for confirmation.  Best methods would be to either send a private message via Facebook or Twitter or use the live chat function in the Southwest app if that's available.

--TheMiddleSeat

Explorer C

I will be taking an early flight from MIA just as you and wanted to know how you managed to check in your luggage & then pass security & be on time at the gate?

Did the suggested self tagging & leaving your luggage at a designated area work?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

See note above about counters opening 90 minutes before departure. You can't just leave your bag at an unstaffed counter.

--TheMiddleSeat

Ml2
Explorer C

I was on flight departing at 5:45am on a Wednesday. The baggage counter opened at 4am