Southwest Airlines Community

Check in for second leg ?

Kimksmit
Explorer C

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Check in for second leg ?

Kimksmit
Explorer C

I was wondering if you have a layover, if you have to check in again to get another seat assignment for the second leg of the flight. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

If both flights are on the same reservation, getting from point A to B then you will receive boarding positions for the second flight when you check-in for the first flight.  If you booked each flight separately then you will need to check in for each on individually.

--TheMiddleSeat

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

click check in one time, 2 different boarding passes will appear, 2 different positions a49, b1

mitchland5
Explorer C

This is answer is inaccurate. I had a flight from LA to Austin with a connection in Las Vegas, booked on the same reservation. I checked in 24 hours before my departure time from LA and received a position in the A group. I also received my boarding pass for my flight from LA to Las Vegas, but not one from Vegas to Austin. When it was 24 hours before the second leg of my flight from Las Vegas to Austin, I got an alert on my phone that I needed to check in for that leg of the flight. Based on this comment I thought I was checked in all the way from LA to Austin but it turnes out I was not. I had to check in again for the Vegas to Austin leg of the flight and because I didn't do it right away, I got a position in the C group for that flight 😞 It was only then that I received my boarding pass for the second leg of the flight. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mitchland5 wrote:

This is answer is inaccurate. I had a flight from LA to Austin with a connection in Las Vegas, booked on the same reservation. I checked in 24 hours before my departure time from LA and received a position in the A group. I also received my boarding pass for my flight from LA to Las Vegas, but not one from Vegas to Austin. When it was 24 hours before the second leg of my flight from Las Vegas to Austin, I got an alert on my phone that I needed to check in for that leg of the flight. Based on this comment I thought I was checked in all the way from LA to Austin but it turnes out I was not. I had to check in again for the Vegas to Austin leg of the flight and because I didn't do it right away, I got a position in the C group for that flight 😞 It was only then that I received my boarding pass for the second leg of the flight. 

Did you have a multi-city or point-to-point booking?

If you were booked as separate itineraries (even if it is on one confirmation like a round trip would be) then it would be separate check-ins.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

If your flight is all under one reservation you will receive a boarding pass for your departure flight and a boarding pass for your connecting flight(s) when you check in. If they are under separate reservations, then you need to check in for each flight you have a reservation number for. 

--Jessica

mitchland5
Explorer C

I booked this as one reservation - a round trip ticket between LA and Austin. For my outbound flight, there were no early morning direct flights between LA and Austin, so I chose one with a layover in Las Vegas. My return flight is a direct flight from Austin to LA. I did not make separate reservations for these flights, it was booked as one round trip ticket. I received one confirmation number for the entire round trip itinerary. Perhaps something has changed with how Southwest handles check ins for connecting fights? I'd be happy to share my confirmation number with someone if that would help me get a better position on my LAS-AUS fight, but it leaves tomorrow morning.