Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked Bags from Cancelled Flight

dav1dsharp
Explorer C

Flight 267 from Denver to St. Louis has been cancelled. The next flight doesn’t get us in for another two days. We’re renting a car and driving. How do we get our four checked bags?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Checked Bags from Cancelled Flight

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

They will usually release bags for canceled flights at the baggage carousels. Any bags that remain unclaimed will be checked to the final destination.

dav1dsharp
Explorer C

That’s exactly what happened. Bags arrived in STL about 7 or 8 hours after we completed our drive back. Called the baggage claim line, provided confirmation number, and they shared which flight and when they’d be arriving. 

After seeing the chaos that was Denver baggage claim before we left, I am more than pleasantly surprised that we had all four bags back to us within 24 hours. Amazing job.

Mvitale1016
Explorer C

TPA was a disaster yesterday. first flight was cancelled at 11AM rebooked on a 545 PM which cancelled at 3PM. At 11PM still have not received luggage. I was told by several employees your flight is on the list your luggage will be here. Never came up.  No managers around. Left the airport at midnight was charged for over a weeks parking when I was never able to get on a flight. Christmas presents my children & the Grandchildren & clothes for my stay 

Left with no luggage. Came home rebooked a flight which cancelled the next day

I have now been on the phone on hold for almost 4 hours. Unable to rebook on line because my flight was a multi city. The website won't allow me to rebook.

Merry Christmas SW. You used to be good.  What are you doing?

Madidav
Explorer B

We had a flight from Denver to Buffalo. Flight was cancelled Wednesday night and they told us baggage would be delivered to final destination. It has been almost 6 days now and baggage has not even moved from Denver. Your best bet is that it will get sent to final destination. But good chance it is stuck at Denver airport for a while. Staff said it is a complete nightmare In Denver with luggage. There are thousands and thousands of bags piled up from cancelled flights. So it will eventually arrive at final destination but may be up to several weeks. Staff will not help and there is no way to track luggage. You have to continue to go to airport to ask. So frustrating. Staff said it could be weeks to get baggage sorted out. So saddening but hope that helps with information based on our experience 

rfeliciano21
Explorer B

Goodluck. My connecting flight from Denver to San Diego was cancelled 12/24 and rebooked for 12/26. I tried to see if my luggage was in Denver or making it's way to SD and I couldn't even get to an agent. I couldn't call today or chat with anyone, so I sent an email. We had to find a hotel nearby, spend more money to book a 2 night stay and hope for the best with our new flight schedule.