Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checked ice chest with frozen food

Rightfootscorer
Explorer C

Hi we will be traveling to Florida from Sacramento. Our daughter has requested we bring hot links and apple cider. I was gonna freeze the gallon of apple cider and the hot links and check the ice chest. It will be less than 50lbs. Will frozen liquid be acceptable? Wondering if I even need dry ice? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Checked ice chest with frozen food

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello. The limit is 5 liters of alcoholic beverages in checked luggage, so a frozen gallon of apple cider should be fine. Be sure to pack it in a leakproof bag (or several bags). It should also be packed in a sturdy cooler (ie not styrofoam). Remember that the cooler mayend upon it;s side or upside down at some point.  

Then the quetion is how do you keep the items frozen.

These guidleines maybhelp answer that question:

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html#baggage_special_lug...

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

I would suggest you use ice packs, not ice cubes, to avoid leaking when the ice melts. And as mentioned, put the cider in sealed bags and pack it all tightly in the cooler to prevent things from moving around. Lastly, seal up the cooler with lots of tape. TSA may open it, but they'll also seal it back up.

That must be some special cider and hot links.

--TheMiddleSeat

Rightfootscorer
Explorer C

Thank you...yes apple hill non alchoholic apple cider a once a year treat during apple season and also very good hot links. My ice chest has a zipper but I will add extra tape just in case. I am thinking I probably dont need extra ice pack since the items are frozen but it won't hurt to have them with us to use while we are there. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You mentioned dry ice which is mentioned in the link provided up above, it is allowed with some guidelines for use.

But I agree that you may not need a lot of additional ice, since the cider will also be frozen.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.