Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking in Early

Lhall
Explorer C

Hello,

My family and I are leaving on a flight tomorrow morning. I was able to check my 5 year old son in online, but it says the rest of us are required to check in at the airport. Why is that? Will he be seated apart from us? 

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Checking in Early

SWDigits
Aviator A

@Lhall most of us here are other customers so I recommend getting in touch with Southwest to see if they are able to provide insight.

Having said that you will be able to board before groups B and C as part of family boarding given that your son is five years old (even if you are assigned to a later boarding group when you are finally able to check in). If you're not familiar with the process then I recommend introducing yourself to the gate agent to ask about how family boarding works -- they should take care of you.

Here is the Southwest wording (bold emphasis added by me): "General boarding starts with Business Select customers, who are guaranteed positions at the front of the A Group, followed by Rapid Rewards tier Members and the remaining Customers in the A Group, families with children age six and under, then groups B and C."

Here is the source page:
https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/airport-experience/index-pol.html

I hope you have a great trip!

Customer | Home airport DCA

Re: Checking in Early

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Lhall wrote:

Hello,

My family and I are leaving on a flight tomorrow morning. I was able to check my 5 year old son in online, but it says the rest of us are required to check in at the airport. Why is that? Will he be seated apart from us? 

Thank you!

As @SWDigits mentioned, there is still a good chance you can sit together. You'll be able to game plan the options better when you get checked in.

Is anyone in your party usign an infant, child fare, senior fare, or military? These are some of the ticket types that you have to be either age verified for the first three, or military ID verified.

If not, here are some suggestions:

1) if you check-in at the airport, maybe try to arrive a little earlier than usual. 

2) try other methods to check in as well, online or use the app whichever you didn't use the first time. If using the app and you are rapid rewards member you can live chat to ask questions about why your ticket is marked for check-in at the airport.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.