Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Checking in problem

bagelritaville
Explorer C

My wife and I have a flight on Friday early morning from Panama City Beach to Philadelphi PA. We always go on exactly the second we are supposed to for the 24 hour period to check in. For the first time, it delayed us by about 2 minutes and we ended up with high B, and C boarding for the two flights.

But it immediately asked us if we wanted better seats starting at $40/person per flight.

We have never experienced this and feel that Southwest is purposely doing this so people will sign up for the extra $40/person charge? Think about how much extra money they will get by doing this!!!

Out of principle, my wife and I will not fall into this ploy, so we will most likely not be able to sit together on the flights, and we will consider another airline to use moving forward.

Has anyone else experienced this?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Checking in problem

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Not everything is part of a conspiracy. The upgraded boarding option is presented to everyone now since it was made available for purchase within the app fairly recently. 

--TheMiddleSeat

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

To Confirm A-Listers get the same "upgrade" message on checking in now

bagelritaville
Explorer C

I wasn't referencing a conspiracy, but could not understand why it took two minutes to check in after the time allowed?

Never had that happen before, so I was checking to see if anyone else was having the same problem.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bagelritaville wrote:

When you say:

"it delayed us by about 2 minutes" ...

"feel that Southwest is purposely doing this so people will sign up for the extra $40/person charge" ...

my wife and I will not fall into this ploy,

t sure sounds like you think it's a conspiracy

I suspect there is a far simpler explanation: things don't always turn out as they should.

floridaguy
Aviator C

I've wondered the same thing.  I have been there with my phone at exactly 24 hours and the moment I click, if it isn't too early and it returns the request, it does tend to hang up.  I cannot imagine that there are that many people doing what I am doing and I get position B20.

I have said before, let Southwest sell the tickets based upon the boarding position.  That solves everything.  You pay for your position in line, PERIOD.

A1 costs a lot more than C60.  

bec102896
Aviator A

Buy Business select you get the better position buy WGA get worse position so it’s kind of like that. Buy Anytime fare get middle of the pool of boarding passes since it comes with EB check in.