Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Child / parent boarding in different groups.

ErikTheRed
Explorer C

Greetings, what’s the policy for a child boarding in a different group than parent?  Let’s say parent has an A boarding pass but the child has B or C boarding pass.  Child is under 10.  Thank you.  

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Child / parent boarding in different groups.

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

You can either board in the A group without the child (and save a seat for them, assuming that you are comfortable with them boarding by themself) and then the child can board in their C boarding position.

Technically, if you are boarding together, you would all have to board in the C boarding position, but if it’s a child, the chance of you encountering any difficulty is rare. That being said, the child may be able to board with the parent in the A’s. You might get questioned about it but as long as you tell them that they are your child, they’ll likely let you on without having you board with the C’s.

ErikTheRed
Explorer C

Thank you for clarifying.  I had purchased a separate reservation for my 8 year old because I had used travel credits and I wanted to use miles for his flight.  It was a complex purchase but we ended up with different reservations.  Now I know, either hang back with him or make sure we're on the same reservation.  I appreciate your help.  Thank you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

No one can move up to a better boarding position. If you want to all board together you need to all board at the worst of the boarding positions. You may find a gate agent that will let it slide, but don't be upset when you are told no.

If you are all on the same reservation I don't see why you would encounter this situation. A person flying with a A-List traveler is provided a sequential boarding position. Two people on the same reservation are also given sequential boarding positions or at least very close to each other. Can you specify if this actually happened or you are just speaking hypothetically? 

--TheMiddleSeat

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

You can also do family boarding, between A and B!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@ZevSupport wrote:

You can also do family boarding, between A and B!

Child would need to be 6 or younger.

--TheMiddleSeat

ErikTheRed
Explorer C

I did not know a child cannot move up in a boarding group.  I had purchased a separate reservation for my 8 year old.  Next time I'll hang back or make sure he's on my reservation.  Thank you for clarifying.  I appreciate your expertise.

Somdas
Explorer C

This actually happens to me all the time, with my A-list, I pay for my ticket, get companion pass for my wife and we board sequentially, I usually add to same reservation my kids on RR points and they get C every time.  Hopefully this is fixed soon before I stop being able to board with family boarding.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Somdas wrote:

This actually happens to me all the time, with my A-list, I pay for my ticket, get companion pass for my wife and we board sequentially, I usually add to same reservation my kids on RR points and they get C every time.  Hopefully this is fixed soon before I stop being able to board with family boarding.

If you can buy your kid’s ticket with yours using the same cash or points for both then they will get your sequential Alist position.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

First, there is no guarantee that you will "sit together" on Southwest, no way to guarantee that.

Second, the child has to be UNDER THE AGE OF SEVEN before the family boarding policy applies.  The policy works by identifying a passenger UNDER THE AGE OF SEVEN and then up to two adults can board with that child during family boarding, after group A and before group P.

All too often people see the family boarding the other way around.  They travel with kids so think it automatically qualifies for family boarding.  It is the other way around.  You have to have a child that meets the age definition before the policy applies.

You mention "under the age of 10" so we need to know the child's age at the time of the flight to provide more information.