Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Class Action Law Suit filed

Patticake801
Explorer C

Well there will be more. Obviously you weren’t impacted by this mess. 
I’m still missing my luggage.. some things are irreplaceable!!!  

take a seat!! 

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@floridaguy  I'm guessing that you aren't very familiar with class action lawsuits, or most lawsuits for that matter.  I say that because you would actually think this, or any, lawsuit would be settled by July.  More power to those who join the suit, I'm just thinking it's a waste of your time, but I've been wrong before.  Good luck to you if you join.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

Notice if you read, I didn't say that the case would make it to trial and be decided by July.  I said it would be SETTLED by July.

Southwest does not want this to go to trial.  So, they (Southwest) will likely make an offer to the plaintiff attorney who can communicate with his clients and also agree that the settlement will extend to everyone who meets certain criterial.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Notice if you read, I didn't say that the case would make it to trial and be decided by July.  I said it would be SETTLED by July.

Southwest does not want this to go to trial.  So, they (Southwest) will likely make an offer to the plaintiff attorney who can communicate with his clients and also agree that the settlement will extend to everyone who meets certain criterial.

LOL

It'll be settled when the judge asks the plantif's attorney, "Which members of the class have already received refunds?"

and the attorney has to give an answer he/she really does not want to give.  

jazzpilot56
Adventurer B

Can't agree more. What a horrible abuse of the justice system. Just look at the Equifax class action lawsuit - people are getting like $6.00 for having there personal information completely compromised - now that's something egregious; but who's getting the money? Lawyers, like $7MM worth. What a joke. 

Travel is an elective activity, no one is telling you that you have to travel and if you do which mode of transportation is appropriate. You can drive most places (obviously not Hawaii), take a train, boat, horseback, walk, etc. Obviously all of these modes have risks and benefits. You don't have to choose Southwest, there are other majors or you could go NetJets. No one's telling you that you must use Southwest. People choose it because it's inexpensive (most times, though not all), convenient, safe (they have an excellent safety record), and typically free from hassles. Are they perfect? No, no airline is.

However, Southwest is already doing the right thing, as they always do. They're reimbursing for cancelled travel, not charging extra for rescheduled flights (even though the new flights may be more expensive), as well as other expenses that they're not even obligated to pay for. They even just credited me $50 for Early Bird fees I lost because of my own fault! And they've extended the A-List / CP renewal until 1/31/23. Flights in January will count both to renewing status for 2023 and will count towards points for 2024 renewal. They even just gave me 50,000 points, totally unexpectedly. And I have to believe they'll keep doing continuous improvement as they have always done, including placing more emphasis of older systems (just like all airlines have done).

I hope these class-action vulture lawyers spend millions of dollars and then get laughed out of court. They're the only ones that benefit if they prevail. The other supposedly injured parties, will get pittens if anything. But sadly, it will cost Southwest millions to defend if it moves forward, money that could be better spent on the improvements already mentioned.

BTW, was I impacted? Absolutely. Our dream vacation we'd been planning to Marco Island for a year was cancelled, and I had to unwind all the reservations (hotel, restaurants, everglades tours, shelling, sunset cruise, etc.). But it wasn't the end of the world, slightly disappointing, but we stayed home and planned many other fun things. And we've rebooked the MI trip for later this year, it's all good!

I love Southwest because they provide an excellent service, they are reliable most of the time - of the hundreds and hundreds of flights I've taken over the years, mostly all on time, I've only been cancelled twice. Most importantly, they're one of if not the safest airlines for the routes I travel. That's an excellent record.

Sorry to see this happening. Just like Equifax, what a complete, utter, total waste.

- Will (where there's a will there's a way)

jksobonya
Aviator A

@jazzpilot56 wrote:

Can't agree more. What a horrible abuse of the justice system. Just look at the Equifax class action lawsuit - people are getting like $6.00 for having there personal information completely compromised - now that's something egregious; but who's getting the money? Lawyers, like $7MM worth. What a joke. 

Travel is an elective activity, no one is telling you that you have to travel and if you do which mode of transportation is appropriate. You can drive most places (obviously not Hawaii), take a train, boat, horseback, walk, etc. Obviously all of these modes have risks and benefits. You don't have to choose Southwest, there are other majors or you could go NetJets. No one's telling you that you must use Southwest. People choose it because it's inexpensive (most times, though not all), convenient, safe (they have an excellent safety record), and typically free from hassles. Are they perfect? No, no airline is.

However, Southwest is already doing the right thing, as they always do. They're reimbursing for cancelled travel, not charging extra for rescheduled flights (even though the new flights may be more expensive), as well as other expenses that they're not even obligated to pay for. They even just credited me $50 for Early Bird fees I lost because of my own fault! And they've extended the A-List / CP renewal until 1/31/23. Flights in January will count both to renewing status for 2023 and will count towards points for 2024 renewal. They even just gave me 50,000 points, totally unexpectedly. And I have to believe they'll keep doing continuous improvement as they have always done, including placing more emphasis of older systems (just like all airlines have done).

I hope these class-action vulture lawyers spend millions of dollars and then get laughed out of court. They're the only ones that benefit if they prevail. The other supposedly injured parties, will get pittens if anything. But sadly, it will cost Southwest millions to defend if it moves forward, money that could be better spent on the improvements already mentioned.

BTW, was I impacted? Absolutely. Our dream vacation we'd been planning to Marco Island for a year was cancelled, and I had to unwind all the reservations (hotel, restaurants, everglades tours, shelling, sunset cruise, etc.). But it wasn't the end of the world, slightly disappointing, but we stayed home and planned many other fun things. And we've rebooked the MI trip for later this year, it's all good!

I love Southwest because they provide an excellent service, they are reliable most of the time - of the hundreds and hundreds of flights I've taken over the years, mostly all on time, I've only been cancelled twice. Most importantly, they're one of if not the safest airlines for the routes I travel. That's an excellent record.

Sorry to see this happening. Just like Equifax, what a complete, utter, total waste.

This whole post is a breath of fresh air! Thanks for posting your thoughts.

--Jessica

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@jazzpilot56 wrote:

Two groups make out, the lawyers and also the class representative. 

But if the corporation did agree to a settlement, the disproportionate amount of the money goes to the lawyers and class representative the members probably won't get enough to offset their losses or damages.

But the company has said it will reimburse people and we just have to wait and see if they have the infrastructure to get people the refunds and reimbursements they are asking for. 

Personally I think one of the biggest hurdles is the communication - people are on this board every week about they didn't get their email about a voucher or a cancelation or a refund and those same issues are going to happen here where the company would reimburse, if they could reach the people.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

To my dear legal scholar,

The judge does not have to agree to a settlement if the plaintiff wants to withdraw the case.  I don't know where you get your information.  I anticipate that the case will be SETTLED and the complaint withdrawn.

Please do some research before responding to posts.  Thank you.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

We’re your travel plans messed up because of these cancellations?