Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion A-List

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Back in normal times a 20 position difference from A20 to A40 is possible. 

Was the flight full? It seems a little less likely that so many A-list passengers were on a recent flight but maybe there were...did it seem very “business-y” on the route you were taking?

If your partners ticket has A-list shown on it then you just happened to hit a busy patch.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

gsking
Aviator C

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the issue.  A-list means you get to board within the A group.  Period.  Lots of other factors go into where you get placed, including fare paid and status relative to other passengers.

Also, things aren't necessarily sequential.  I've seen plenty of open spots left empty lately, due to social distancing boarding perhaps. 

And you'll get your own set of seats regardless.  No middle seats assigned. 

My advice...run to the back, avoid the clueless sheep in the front who can't figure out how to board efficiently, and stop worry about it.

SM7
Explorer A

Southwest e-mail from March 2020. ”We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do. That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier. Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.” B.S.! NOT TRUE!!! One of the most BAIT & SWITCH policies by any airline! This is ridiculous. I've been an A-List member for 15 years & A-List preferred for couple years with a companion pass for my kid for the last 4 years. I read this as simple English & then the Southwest gate handlers at Phoenix Airport gate D-7 embarrassed me by first feigning ignorance about the policy & then clarifying that "the companion needs to be on the same reservation #" which they know is impossible!! Wow! Funny thing is I fly all over the US & only Southwest Gate handers at Orlando & Phoenix enforce & are happy to rub it in your face. I've flown & had my kid board along with me in so many other Airports like San Diego, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, LAX, Ontario-LA, Orange County etc & they never make any fuss of a 8-year old boarding with me. And now Southwest rubs it in my face again! Not nice at all. "

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SM7 thank you for posting the same message on numerous threads, really added lots of value to the conversation.

Try this instead:

Contact Customer Relations

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SM7 wrote:

You sure do like posting the same thing over and over and over.

Hope it makes you feel better.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@SM7 wrote:

Southwest e-mail from March 2020. ”We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do. That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier. Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.” B.S.! NOT TRUE!!! One of the most BAIT & SWITCH policies by any airline! This is ridiculous. I've been an A-List member for 15 years & A-List preferred for couple years with a companion pass for my kid for the last 4 years. I read this as simple English & then the Southwest gate handlers at Phoenix Airport gate D-7 embarrassed me by first feigning ignorance about the policy & then clarifying that "the companion needs to be on the same reservation #" which they know is impossible!! Wow! Funny thing is I fly all over the US & only Southwest Gate handers at Orlando & Phoenix enforce & are happy to rub it in your face. I've flown & had my kid board along with me in so many other Airports like San Diego, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, LAX, Ontario-LA, Orange County etc & they never make any fuss of a 8-year old boarding with me. And now Southwest rubs it in my face again! Not nice at all. "

It seems that you're upset because an agent applied the rules. Just because you've been allowed to sidestep them before doesn't mean you will always be able to do so.

The policy is clear. It unfortunately just doesn't apply to your situation. And it never has. (At least not yet.)

For all customers traveling together with a A-Lister to board together they have to be checked in together, and the system does that as long as they're on the same reservation. This is mentioned clearly, twice, in the policy announcement you posted.

”We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do. That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier. Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.”

That email also included a LEARN MORE link, with more important details.

Unfortunately, those traveling on a Companion Pass are not on the same reservation as the CP holder. That's just how the system does it. This sadly highlights a significant flaw in Southwest's otherwise well-intentioned A-List boarding policy.

Southwest has stated that they're aware of the disappointment this causes for their Companion Pass holders, and that they are working on a solution. The good news is that there have recently been reports that this may be happening now, possibly as a test run. Hopefully an announcement will follow at some point.

Until there's a policy (and system) change, you should keep in mind that the A-List Boarding Policy doesn't apply to your Companion, but will apply when traveling with anyone else on the same reservation.

In your particular case, you could ask the Ops Agent, prior to boarding, if they will allow your child to board with you. If not, you should board together at your child's assigned position. Other people in your situation often find benefit in purchasing EarlyBird Check-In for their Companion.

Hope this helps.

(Just a reminder that posting the same thing on multiple threads is a violation of forum policy.)

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Without reading all the posts, I'm going to throw this out.  Have one of you on different computers and at the exact second, press check in.  Although I hear that A-List is automatically checked in 30 hours ahead of the flight, I still do it anyway.  Have him click just a couple of seconds sooner than you do, and see what happens.  Other than that, i don't know how the system works.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

Without reading all the posts,  

Not to worry. f you've read one, you've read them all.