Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Boarding

Jodyisfishing
Explorer B

I really like the companion pass, but after all that money spent to obtain it, it would be nice to enjoy your companion on a flight by boarding together.  Had to drop $40 to sit by my wife because flight was going to be full.  

25 REPLIES 25

Re: Companion Boarding

chgoflyer
Aviator A

FYI: Southwest is considering a policy change that would allow Companions to board with the Companion Pass holder. They tested it last year, but have yet to implement it. One hopes it's not been decided against.

bec102896
Aviator A

I know they tested this in DAL last year and i thought it was great especially if one of the passengers on the companion pass is A List (companion pass holder or the companion). I hope they add this everywhere as it is a great idea and saves the having to save seat(s). 

Blake

Gjlilley
Explorer A
Solution

I will take it one more level. I am a single guy and my 9 yr old son is my Companion. Him and I have been flying for years, 2 of the last, being companion level. He has always just boarded with me as A. They  announce that family boarding is after A but if you are a single A with a minor, just have them board with you. Last week on our way to Florida, the boarding process was held up by the gate attendant who wanted to argue, telling me and everyone else around, minor boarding was wrong. Why be a A lister with a companion pass if I have to board after all the As and other A listers plus preboards? What benefit is it for me to be a companion pass member If I am being penalized for bringing my minor companion?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Sadly, they don't actually announce that "family boarding is after A but if you are a single A with a minor, just have them board with you." The agent that stopped you was correct. Official policy is that, in order to board together, you both board either at the later position or during Family Boarding (which only applies to those with children age 6 and under.)

This, as you've noted, means that A-Listers are effectively "penalized" when traveling with a minor companion. But that's the policy.

This is yet another reason Companions should (hopefully someday) be allowed to board with the CP holder.

Boarding the Plane

Do families get to preboard?

An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an “A” boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

Can groups assigned to different boarding positions board together?

Yes. However, in order to maintain the integrity of the boarding process, we ask that earlier boarding positions board with the later positions. For example, if a passenger is assigned position A16 and wants to board with a passenger assigned position A45, the passenger holding the A16 boarding pass should board with the A45 passenger.

Passenger1C
Aviator C

Re: Traveling with a minor. 

Did you happen to speak to the agent at the gate and explain your situation before the plane started to board? Not too long ago, I was fortunate enough to be in the same scenario as you. As I approached the agent, she could tell I was stressed and overwhelmed. I calmly explained my dilemma and asked if there was anything she could do for me?  If not, no biggie, but it was worth my time to ask. The agent with a huge smile said she would be happy to help me board with my child. I was blown away by  the excellent service, and gesture. Even though she didnt bend any rules with boarding out of order, she still came up with a solution for me. As we boarded the plane,  she told me that if I would have asked her for assistance WHILE boarding, she would not have been able to leave her post. 

Keep in mind these simple, but important techniques at the gate:

- Always be polite and sincere to employees and other passengers. 

-Flying is stressful, but you can choose to either brush off bad experiences, or you can let the rage consume you. ( again...YOU are the one focusing on the situation. 

- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. 

Just my 2 cents!  Happy adventures await. 

SWA Passenger, Community Champion

chgoflyer
Aviator A

So, what was that solution?

Gjlilley
Explorer A

Thank you Passenger1c for your input. I always travel easy and keep calm and have little stress. The stress comes when the gate agent makes a scene at the gate and raises his voice at you. I too was nervous the first time traveling solo with my son and I asked several times and no other gate attendants had issues so to me it is normal procedure so not asking this guy was partly my fault. How many times have you been flying and seen a parent with several kids in the A line? So I know I am not the only one. With business select and Alist it is hard to get an A boarding pass even doing the earlybird check in. 

That is why I replied to this post. Because while I understand the rule is there to prevent abuse, penalizing- persecuting me for traveling with my minor son does not seem to be fair either. 

Jodyisfishing
Explorer B

Don't dare try to modify your reservation with a companion attached, it's the ole NOPE message we all love. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Jodyisfishing wrote:

Don't dare try to modify your reservation with a companion attached, it's the ole NOPE message we all love. 

I'm not sure why someone marked the earlier comment as a solution, when it's not one. It's actually expressing the problem in a specific context that's even worse than the original issue.

Earlier, I asked Passenger1c what the agent did for them that they considered a "solution," which may have caused some confusion.

To address Jodyisfishing's comment: You can refare an itinerary with a companion attached, but any other change requires you to first cancel the companion's booking. After the changes, you'll need to add your companion back. It's unfortunately been that way for as long as I can remember. One hopes this will eventually be fixed (but knowing Southwest's IT, don't get your hopes up.) 😉