Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass - Boarding Suggestions

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Ebbhead Option C: buy Earlybird Checkin for the kids which should put them in the high A, low B boarding range and have everyone board at the latest position. My experience is that you'll be able to sit together while following the "rules".

Ebbhead
Explorer C

I understand that may result in better odds of finding seats together, however that still ignores the fact (and a common scenario) that a family who happen to have a 6 year old (lets say they are a family of 5 or 6) but are not A-listers, will get to board before me or right after me, will not have needed to spend the extra dollars for Early Checkin, and will get to find seats next to each other.

Are you SWA employee - "TheMiddleSeat"?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

He's Gary Kelly! j/k, I don't think he is, but who knows?

Anyway, one of the fine print items that may or may not be enforced is:

• An adult traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the A group has boarded and before the B group begins boarding. If the child and the adult are both holding an A boarding pass, they should board in their assigned boarding position.

...so the implication was that for each child under six years old, one (or personally I think reasonably two) adults would also board, but it wouldn't be carte blanche for five or six people to board with only one young child.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

You might just get your wish!

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/10/southwest-companion-pass-boarding/

I really hope this goes standard!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Stephanieumd
Explorer C

Has anyone heard whether the trial of the companion boarding with pass holder was a success and whether it will be implemented?  My companion just turned 7 so my A-16 and his C-5 mean that this mama who flys 2 times every week of the year on SWA must head back to the C group because of this silly policy. 🤯 the lack of logic here really blows my mind!  A minor child should be able to board with their A-list preferred parent in the parent’s boarding position! If I change my companion to an adult, I’ll gladly have them board in their position, but a kid?  Cmon!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It was stated that the trial was a success, but there's been no indication yet of it becoming permanent policy. Since it wasn't rolled out quickly (as was with the change to the Family Boarding age) I'd guess that either it's been decided against, or (less likely, IMHO) Southwest is waiting to include the update as part of a larger change.

sdoerfer
Explorer C

I fully agree. Sitting by your spouse after earning companion pass should not be a privilege subject to angry passengers, but an expectation as it would be with another airline after earning that status. I think that Twitter is the best venue to get airlines to listen to their valued customers. 

sdoerfer
Explorer C

I fully agree. Sitting by your spouse after earning companion pass should not be a privilege subject to angry passengers, but an expectation as it would be with another airline after earning that status. I think that tweeting is the best venue to get airlines to listen to their valued customers. 

SM7
Explorer A
One of the most BAIT & SWITCH policies by any airline! This is ridiculous. I've been an A-List member for 15 years & A-List preferred for couple years with a companion pass for my kid for the last 4 years. I read this as simple English language & then the Southwest gate handlers at Phoenix Airport gate D-7 embarrassed me by first feigning ignorance about the policy & then clarifying that "the companion needs to be on the same reservation #" which they know is impossible!! Wow! Funny thing is I fly all over the US & only Southwest Gate handers at Orlando & Phoenix enforce & are happy to rub it in your face. I've flown & had my kid board along with me in so many other Airports like San Diego, Austin, Raleigh-Durham, San Jose, LAX, Ontario-LA, Orange County etc & they never make any fuss of a 8-year old boarding with me. And now Southwest rubs it in my face again! Not nice at all.

dfwskier
Aviator A