Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass Boarding

chgoflyer
Aviator A

The FA was wrong. Southwest has no policy for or against seat saving. You can save a seat.

That said, if someone wants to take the seat you are saving, they can sit there.

It's a stupid situation, created by Southwest's non-policy policy.

BullsFan
Adventurer A

It's a joke!

the FA's need to enforce the right to choose any unoccupied seat PER THE RULES

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@BullsFan wrote:

It's a joke!

the FA's need to enforce the right to choose any unoccupied seat PER THE RULES

Actually, there's nothing for the FAs to enforce, as Southwest refuses to have a rule for or against seat saving.

Jacke47
Explorer C

I wholeheartedly concur re companion boarding.  It is expecially difficult to save a set for my wife if I had the good fortune to acquire an exit row seat.  The companion privilege is great but really, some accomodation should be in order for a paying passenger and companion to board together.

Berrober
Explorer C

I so Agree!  It only makes sense to have this convenience, as I cannot see any harm or "non-benefit" to other passengers.  It would certainly prevent potential problems or arguments, and certainly would be much easier on the great flight attendants.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

EDIT: Southwest is currently testing allowing companions to board with the CP holder. This is great news. If it goes live throughout the system, I'll have to fully admit I was wrong in the post below. 😉

It's never going to happen.

From Southwest's viewpoint, the companion is already getting a free flight. They'd hope EarlyBird or Upgraded Boarding is purchased.

I could possibly see a pay option made available, among the many being considered for "new ancillary income avenues." Called something like Companion Plus, where, for a set annual fee the companion is allowed to board with the primary passenger.

But for free? Very unlikely.

kcullimore
Adventurer C

OK Southwest.... there you have it. 

If it is a money issue, charge us a fee to get our companion to have the same number or a similar number boarding.  Although this defeats the purpose somewhat, if the fee is nominal ($10) like the early bird, then I think we would all live with it. 

I have spoken to over 20 companion pass holders and many of your great cabin stewards about this issue. ALL AGREE THAT IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE A SIMPLE SOLUTION. Every one that was a companion pass holder had similar issues and complaints. The Cabin Stewards would love to not have to be in the middle of a "saving seat" issue. 

If this forum is to really hear and help resolve issues (even minor issues like this), then let's see if this reasonable solution cannot be implemented.    I still love Southwest. I am still hoping that there is a solution that we can get. 

Marmey
Explorer C

Just pre- board like 100 other people do!! Then you can sit together without having to save a seat!

kcullimore
Adventurer C

I struggle with the "honesty" in pre-boarding when there is no reason. 

dmlmll
Explorer C

While I'm sure that there are some folks who do it dishonestly, keep in mind that now all disabilities that make pre-boarding beneficial are not readily visible to everyone! I'm one of those folks and can often see the reactions from other passengers.