Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass Boarding

Seanpcorbett1
Explorer C

1.) Southwest - THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION TO THE QUESTION!!!!!

2.) after speaking with lovely customer service, it is apparent that Southwest is slowly becoming Spirit airlines.  I am A-List preferred and my wife is A-list.  She is my companion on multiple flights.  This is now the 4th time, they have mysteriously screwed up her Rapid Rewards number and she has received a B or worse boarding pass.  After the last time, I made sure that everything was in order that would capture her A-List status and in turn assign her an A-list boarding pass.  Of course this did not happen. 

3.) after both of us spent upwards of 45 minutes trying to “oh my gosh, this has never happened! Let’s see what went wrong”, southwest told us there was nothing they could do to remedy the situation ON THANKSGIVING!!!!  So basically my wife has never benefited from her A-list status and A-list preferred means absolutely zero when it comes to customer service!!!

4.) so in conclusion to everyone asking.... NO YOUR COMPANION CANNOT BOARD WITH YOU IN THE A GROUP REGARDLESS OF STATUS!!!  Unless your name is Mrs. Gary Kelley, you are as important of a customer as the cheapest ticket on the plane... UNITED IT IS!!!!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Seanpcorbett1 wrote:

1.) Southwest - THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION TO THE QUESTION!!!!!

2.) after speaking with lovely customer service, it is apparent that Southwest is slowly becoming Spirit airlines.  I am A-List preferred and my wife is A-list.  She is my companion on multiple flights.  This is now the 4th time, they have mysteriously screwed up her Rapid Rewards number and she has received a B or worse boarding pass.  After the last time, I made sure that everything was in order that would capture her A-List status and in turn assign her an A-list boarding pass.  Of course this did not happen. 

3.) after both of us spent upwards of 45 minutes trying to “oh my gosh, this has never happened! Let’s see what went wrong”, southwest told us there was nothing they could do to remedy the situation ON THANKSGIVING!!!!  So basically my wife has never benefited from her A-list status and A-list preferred means absolutely zero when it comes to customer service!!!

4.) so in conclusion to everyone asking.... NO YOUR COMPANION CANNOT BOARD WITH YOU IN THE A GROUP REGARDLESS OF STATUS!!!  Unless your name is Mrs. Gary Kelley, you are as important of a customer as the cheapest ticket on the plane... UNITED IT IS!!!!

You should already know this, but just in case you don't: Any A-Lister who doesn't receive an A boarding pass can board at the end of the A group. At worst she would be 45 spots away from you, and you are able to save a seat for her (Southwest allows this). I know this doesn't fix the issue you're having, but hopefully this helps. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Seanpcorbett1 wrote:

2.) after speaking with lovely customer service, it is apparent that Southwest is slowly becoming Spirit airlines.

I would say the opposite actually, the trend is to be one of the big guys, but while keeping many of the aspects of Southwest from when they were the maverick in the industry.

@Seanpcorbett1 wrote:

This is now the 4th time, they have mysteriously screwed up her Rapid Rewards number and she has received a B or worse boarding pass.  After the last time, I made sure that everything was in order that would capture her A-List status and in turn assign her an A-list boarding pass.  Of course this did not happen. 

The part about them not remedying the situation is true - the positions are already given out, so they unfortunately can't award a "16.5" position to have her in line with you. As @chgoflyer mentioned, she (and you) could board at the "A61" position together if you like depending how many positions you give up and if that matters to you, or save her a spot and board at your own position.

The interesting part to me was that your wife is A-list on her own - presumably her A-list benefits work fine on her own flights, and it is only the companion flights that are being messed up - this tells me that the issue if you still want to solve it, is with the population of the companion's information which will come from your profile, and not from hers. (i.e. flights she books alone she gets A-list no problem).

Take a closer look at her information including name, RR#, DOB, etc. and see where the difference is from what is entered on her own profile.

Also does her companion ticket show up when she logs in to the website under her own profile? If not then that helps us know where the discconect is. 

If it does, call in advance of your next companion flight before T-36 hours to make sure things are setup for her A-list status.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Flyer43
Explorer C

I wish I would've known about this issue before I got the companion pass.

I have 165,000 points and we have the CP through the end of 2020.

As of now, we won't be using the card because of this issue and we won't be renewing the CP.

I usually book BS, but with the CP, my wife is late A or early B, even with Early Bird.

Why would I book BS to get early A and hen try to "save" a seat or bin space when 60 people get on the plane?  That is honestly a disincentive to pay for BS.

I guess I assumed that Southwest would allow the companion to board with the companion, especially given their reputation for customer service, but my bad.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Flyer43
Explorer C

I wish I would've known about this issue before I got the companion pass.

I have 165,000 points and we have the CP through the end of 2020.

As of now, we won't be using the card because of this issue and we won't be renewing the CP.

I usually book BusS, but with the CP, my wife is late A or early B, even with Early Bird.

Why would I book BusS to get early A and hen try to "save" a seat or bin space when 60 people get on the plane?  That is honestly a disincentive to pay for BusS.

I guess I assumed that Southwest would allow the companion to board with the companion, especially given their reputation for customer service, but my bad.

Oh well, lesson learned.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

swmelter
Explorer C

Does anyone know if the Companion Boarding Trial was extended or now being used?  I believe it was only going to be from 10/18/17 through 11/8/17.  I am an A-List Preferred so I too board early.  I usually pay for the Early-Bird for my wife (companion pass), but that still has a gap (sometimes significant).  I am very uncomfortable saving the seat as well.  As others have said in previous posts I would have no trouble paying a small upcharge for the companion to board with me.

Luphole
Explorer C

I, too am A-List with a companion pass for many years. I have written SW multiple times urging that they allow anyone, with the Companion Pass card which they issue, to Board at the same time as the Companion Pass sponsor. No reply.

The issue is gaining momentum with two recent national news articles explaining the problems wirh the SW non-policy, including one today in USA Today. At the same time passengers are becoming more aggressive about trying to oust a saved seat. My example was on a recent flight when a lady complained loudly that my saved seat (for my wife) was "B--- S---". She yielded only when the FA reinforced my position.

I always buy Early Bird for my wife, but I have been astounded at the gaps the still occur. 

We are among SW's best passengers. A general allowed saved seat policy is probably not a good idea because of the many abuses that now take place. Nonetheless, it makes good business sense for SW to offer its Companion Pass customers an option (at an annual price, or at a per trip price) to upgrade the Companion Pass boarding status to board with (at the same position in line) the Companion Pass sponsor. Makes money for SW, avoids on board disputes, is easily explainable to other passengers, etc.

This is a growing issue. I hope SW addresses it soon.

kcullimore
Adventurer C

I have not heard. I am hoping that they adopt it. 

Anyone at Southwest that can give us a heads up?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. You've been great about letting us know that you'd like to board with your Companion Pass designee, and we're exploring options to see how we can make this a better experience. No updates on that as of now, but if/when we do have new information, we'll be sure to share it on the Community.