Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass Boarding

mdiamond
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey, been a month since the last word on this and I'd like to find out if there's been any progress here from Southwest.  I'm planning a number of SW trips in the next 3 months with my wife on companion pass tickets and given how full all the SW flights are that I've been on lately, I'm guessing I'll be encountering all of these same issues.  So what's the latest, and if the same, can Southwest PLEASE get moving on this issue, which is not new, and continues to affect your most loyal customers?  Thanks,

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @mdiamond,

We've shared the feedback in this thread with our Partners in other Departments, and it's being used to help prioritize some of the changes and updates that our Customers have said they'd like to see. I don't have any specific updates for you regarding boarding, preboarding, or Companion Pass Boarding at this time. If anything does change, we'll be sure to share it here on the Community. 

kcullimore
Adventurer C

I know that we may be expecting too much but this is still a continuing issue for many of us frequent flyers.  I know that there is "discussion" going on but the solutions seem pretty simple. I have seen suggestions that would both help Southwest and solve the problem. 

I know that I am willing to pay a small fee each time to have my companion be able to board with me. An annual fee would also be fine. 

So any new news on this issue?

ccrunner456
Explorer C

Is there any update on this being implimented company wide?? I was able to particpate in the trial period last year and it was so great!!!!

kcullimore
Adventurer C

It seems since Southwest is NOT doing anything, we appear to be letting this issue die. Each time I fly with my wife (my companion), i discuss this issue wiht the flight attendents. They all wish Southwest would do something as well. 

There have been many solutions offered. The trial run in Denver (as I understand it) was successful.  

PLEASE HELP YOUR BEST CUSTOMERS.  

Any update?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@kcullimore wrote:

It seems since Southwest is NOT doing anything, we appear to be letting this issue die. Each time I fly with my wife (my companion), i discuss this issue wiht the flight attendents. They all wish Southwest would do something as well. 

There have been many solutions offered. The trial run in Denver (as I understand it) was successful.  

PLEASE HELP YOUR BEST CUSTOMERS.  

Any update?

Since this is a customer to customer forum , you are not likely to get an answer here from the company.

Perhaps you should send SW an e-mail instead. To do so click on contact us a the bottom of this page, and then pick e-mail from the contact choices listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

kcullimore
Adventurer C

They do monitor these carefully. If you will look back in the forum posts you will see several responses from Southwest. 

That being said, I encourage ALL companion pass holders to contact Southwest directly. I have. They do have a solution that is simple and can be done easily. It worked in Denver trials. They just need a push to implement it.

Southwest, I know you read these and are reviewing. What can we do it pursuade you to allow companions to board with their AList companion?

Flying_Slug
Adventurer A

I’m not a Companion Pass (CP) holder, but this issue of boarding position for Companions also affects regular passengers like me. Boarding position is uniquely impactful on Southwest because there are no pre-assigned seats.

I believe it would be easier for everyone if, 1) CP holders had a chance to board with their travelling companion (perhaps as an option for a small fee?) in recognition for their loyal patronage, while simultaneously, 2) adopting a clear, universal, consistent no-seat-saving policy unless previously arranged (e.g., passengers purchasing 2 seats for themselves get an official decal during boarding to place on the seat they are legitimately saving).

Wouldn’t these two changes save precious seconds (and prevent some frustration) during the boarding/sitting process?

I remember how great it felt when Southwest drastically improved their system by assigning boarding positions. It sure is day and night compared with the old system of 20 years ago. Smiley Very Happy It would be nice if Southwest now took another quantum-leap forward.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I suspect changes to the boarding system are coming, eventually. IMHO, most likely some sort of hybrid assigned seating / open seating scheme, designed specifically to generate ancillary income while addressing the numerous customer complaints arising from issues with the current one.

I don't see this happening anytime soon though. Southwest is dealing with much bigger issues these days.

bozacksmith
Explorer B

Interesting this thread is still going but still applicable. I have the same issue as well.

Southwest should also inform their gate people on how the numbering system works with the SWA algorithm and status.

It is annoying that if I am A- List preferred with companion pass earning (all through flying and not through credit cards) and fly my companion and/or my kids I have to forfeit my position and board with their lower number, and I pay for early bird check in too.

So instead of the gate agents letting my companion or kids board with me as A1, A2 or A16 I board with their early bird check in which is usually A30-50. Sure I could just go on and save seats but I help my wife and kids board, luggage etc. I have had them try to board with me only to have agents deny them time after time.

If the gate agents were smart they should realize that most of the time that someone draws the A1, 2 or A16/17 etc we pull those because we have the highest SWA status of those checked in at the time............ loyalty should matter  more