Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass + Boarding

Hubguy24
Explorer C

I will be new to being a CP holder and was wondering how I can get my companion to board close to me. I've read a lot of the comments, but am confused. 

I'm not A-list. I understand booking business for myself and adding a companion does not yield my companion to board sequentially. 

Am I better off booking Anytime and upgrading both? Is it possible to upgrade a companion?

Thank you!!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion pass + Boarding

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Under most conditions your companion will get sequential boarding positions with you. As you said, Business Select tickets are an exception. One person buying EarlyBird may help you both get better boarding positions and Anytime tickets include EarlyBird in the fare price. Anytime fare EarlyBird is no better than a Wanna Get Away fare with EarlyBird added so don't buy Anytime just to get EarlyBird. My usual recommendation is to check in like you normally would 24 hours prior to departure then if you don't like the boarding position purchase the upgraded boarding option through the app. You will need to purchase for both passengers though as the sequential boarding does not factor in when purchasing the upgraded boarding.

--TheMiddleSeat

Edit: Southwest does prioritize customers with EarlyBird based on their fare type. I incorrectly said Anytime EarlyBird is the same as Wanna Get Away EarlyBird. Here's the Southwest FAQ:

Customers who have purchased Anytime fares receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus and Wanna Get Away fares. Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away Plus receive priority over Customers who purchase EarlyBird Check-In with Wanna Get Away fares. Boarding positions are assigned based on the time stamp of the EarlyBird Check-In purchase relative to Passengers within the same fare product.

xtiancool
Observer

I just booked a flight  and used my CP for the first time. Booking was over the phone.  I purchased an Anytime fare.  The representative said I would need to purchase an earlier bird for my companion.  She said that sequential boarding did not apply for Anytime unless I had A-List or A-List preferred.  She referred me to the companion pass page (https://www.southwest.com/rapid-rewards/tiers/companion-pass/) at the bottom in the fine print it says. “If you purchased a Wanna Get Away®, Wanna Get Away Plus or an Anytime fare and either you or your Companion is an A-List or A-List Preferred Member, you will both receive reserved boarding positions.”

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Agent is wrong. EarlyBird from Anytime fare will provide a sequential boarding position for companion. Had this situation last week.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Agent is wrong. EarlyBird from Anytime fare will provide a sequential boarding position for companion. Had this situation last week.

--TheMiddleSeat

Agent was probably thinking of Business Select which would work as they had described.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.