Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion pass boarding position

emilligan
Explorer C

Wow...I was just looking for answers and and voicing an opinion. Didn't realize I was going to be judged for doing that. Move on.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you're not willing/able to provide answers to basic troubleshooting questions you're not looking for answers.

--TheMiddleSeat

emilligan
Explorer C

I answered every question asked so I'm not sure what you're referring too, but I think it's time you moved on.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Unanswered... Did you purchase a Business Select fare?

Why is this important?  If you booked a Business Select fare your companion will not receive sequential boarding.  This is a known exception to the sequential boarding benefit provided to A-List travelers.  Perhaps this provides a logical explanation for your issue?  But you did not answer the question so it appears you no longer want to determine why you didn't receive the sequential boarding.  I guess you suddenly lost interest.

--TheMiddleSeat

abbeynormal
Explorer B

I've been flying SWA since 1977 and qualify for the companion pass - I totally understand the companion cannot board with the business select and it makes perfect sense.  I've watched too many companions board and then sit in the exit row.  This should not happen because the folks that pay for business select and not their companions get the options on where to sit.  SWA can help stop this by having the gate agents announce that you board where your boarding pass says and not let people board out of order. When that little bell goes off the name and boarding group pops up.  If someone is B or C trying to get in the A group move them aside.   It's not hard and if all gate agents start announcing line up in numerical order, it won't take long for everyone to get the idea and when someone tries to sneak in when they get busted it will reinforce - line up in numerical order.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@abbeynormal How do you know they are companions and how do you know they are boarding out of order?  As mentioned in this thread that you replied to instead of creating a new one for your topic, companion pass holders and companions on non-Business Select tickets board together.  There are often exit row seats available after the A1-15 Business Select and upgraded boarding position boarding completes.  A WGA ticketholder with A16 could have a companion, they would get A17 and both can take the exit row.  Sure, not every agent enforces the boarding order, but I have seen many people sent back to their assigned spot if they try to board early.  Perhaps you could clarify what exactly you are unhappy with.

--TheMiddleSeat

Toyguns67
Explorer C

I’m flying with a companion this weekend, so I just inquired about this very issue. I just hung up with SW and they informed me my companion would have the words COMP on their ticket and would be allowed to board with me as an A-list member, regardless of their assignment at check-in. I didn’t inquire if, in addition they would be automatically assigned the boarding position directly behind me, as some have suggested. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Toyguns67 assuming ticket is purchased and companion added at least 36 hours ahead of departure you will receive sequential boarding positions.  *Excluding Business Select fares

--TheMiddleSeat