Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass boarding position

dwjr
Explorer A

I'm A-List Preferred with Companion Pass (had it in 2021 and requalified for 2022).

During my past two trips with my companion/wife (one in late-October, one in late-December), she was auto-assigned the A boarding position right behind me.  Never had that happen before.  

Does anyone know if this is a new policy (that would be awesome!), or a incentive program that's expired/expiring?

Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17

Re: Companion pass boarding position

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It's a new policy. - actually several months old by now.

jksobonya
Aviator A
Solution

This is one of those things that SWA tested "under the radar" for months and I think it's official policy now!

--Jessica

chgoflyer
Aviator A

It's not been officially announced yet (oddly) but this is a new policy that Southwest has been testing for some time now.

emilligan
Explorer C

I am A List and flew last week. I was in A group boarding but my companion (my daughter) was put in C group! The ticket and gate agents would not allow my daughter to board with me in A! They were perfectly fine with my daughter standing alone to board with C. Not only is it ridiculous to separate a parent/child but especially if it's a companion and is linked to my travel. I ended up upgrading my daughter's position so she could board with me and we could get some overhead space. My companion has always been in the same boarding position with me. I think SWA's policy sucks and there seems to be a lot of inconsistency starting. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@emilligan wrote:

I am A List and flew last week. I was in A group boarding but my companion (my daughter) was put in C group! 

Did you add the companion within 36 hours of the flight departure?

--TheMiddleSeat

emilligan
Explorer C

I added the companion more than 36 hours to departure. After what happened on my outgoing flight, I called SWA prior to my return flight to make sure the reservations where still linked and it was the same issue. SWA was of little help.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Did you purchase a Business Select fare?

--TheMiddleSeat

emilligan
Explorer C

I don't remember since I booked the tickets a few months ago. No matter the class of ticket or if I booked with points, I haven't had this issue in the past. This was the first time in 2 years to experience this. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

ok, I guess you just want to complain rather than find answers.

--TheMiddleSeat