Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Connecting Flight concerns

Philpott3
Explorer C

We're flying into Los Angeles from Baltimore in May. We were originally going to get off the plane and drive to Vegas. Now, we are thinking we'll fly. Can someone tell me how that will work with checked luggage?  Since flights will be booked separately, will my luggage make it from the BWI-LAX plane to the LAX-LAS plane automatically?  Or will we have to pull the luggage off the conveyor belt and check it back in, and us go through security to do so?  Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Connecting Flight concerns

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Philpott3 wrote:

We're flying into Los Angeles from Baltimore in May. We were originally going to get off the plane and drive to Vegas. Now, we are thinking we'll fly. Can someone tell me how that will work with checked luggage?  Since flights will be booked separately, will my luggage make it from the BWI-LAX plane to the LAX-LAS plane automatically?  Or will we have to pull the luggage off the conveyor belt and check it back in, and us go through security to do so?  Thank you

I think you may have a problem. Typically for luggage t o  move seamlessly between planes the flights would need t be part of one confirmation number. Yours are not. SO you would probably need t retrieve your bags at LAX., and then recheck to LAS.

I'd suggest that you check prices on a BWI/LAS routing  versus two tickets BWI/LAX and LAX/LAS. You can cancel BWI/LAX with no penalty and then substitute BWI/LAS.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

When you check in at BWI you can inform the agent at the full service check-in counter (not a kiosk) that you have an additional flight on a separate confirmation and would like the bag to continue on to LAS.  They will be able to check the bag through to LAS despite it being 2 separate reservations.

--TheMiddleSeat

gsking
Aviator C

They told me they could connect the two reservations into one routing for the bags,  but I don't think we ended up testing their theory. 

I can't recall the specifics,... maybe we changed our plans.  But I'm pretty sure you can do it.   A quick call to SWA would confirm. 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

You will need to go to the full service ticket counter. I just did this last week on a DTW MDW AUS booked as 2 one ways they were able to go in and check it all the way to final destination without me having to go out and recheck the bag (I exited the terminal anyways to say hi to a friend but glad I didn't have to recheck the bag) 

I have noticed not all employees know how to do this so you may need to ask for a supervisor if they say you can't. 

One other note this only works if the layover is under 4 hours otherwise you will need to claim and recheck the bags. 

-Blake 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Might it make sense to cancel your original ticket and apply the travel funds towards a single trip BWI-LAS?