Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Connecting flight in Denver

lperea
Explorer C

My 14 year old is traveling from Wichita to Utah with a connecting flight on the way there and back in Denver. I'm very nervous as he is flying alone. How easy will it be for him to find his connecting flight? He will be arriving in Denver late evening and his flight doesn't depart until after 10pm. Will there be very many workers at that time of day to help assist him should he have questions or get lost? Are there any tips I should give him for finding his gate/connecting flight? Thanks for any advice. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Connecting flight in Denver

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

All Southwest flights depart from the C concourse in Denver so his connecting gate may be right next to the one he arrives in or a 10 minute walk away.  He can ask staff or look at one of the many screens in the concourse to get the gate # he needs to go to.  There are numerous food options so bring some money for that.  If he has questions the staff at the gate he is departing from will be his best option, but any staff can assist.  Verifying with someone that he is at the correct gate is always a good idea.  He should be aware that boarding starts about 30 minutes prior to departure, but other than that it's really pretty simple and nothing to be worried about.  I have great memories of flying alone as a child and know many others who also loved it so I bet he has a great time.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@lperea wrote:

My 14 year old is traveling from Wichita to Utah with a connecting flight on the way there and back in Denver. I'm very nervous as he is flying alone. How easy will it be for him to find his connecting flight? He will be arriving in Denver late evening and his flight doesn't depart until after 10pm. Will there be very many workers at that time of day to help assist him should he have questions or get lost? Are there any tips I should give him for finding his gate/connecting flight? Thanks for any advice. 

As @TheMiddleSeat mentioned there is no need to travel to another concourse so it is a great airport for connections in that regard. 

There should be plenty of staff around at that hour, I'm sure the passenger traffic should be slowing down a little bit that late in the evening. 

Review the map in advance so that your teen has a sense of the layout, make sure they understand there won't be any need to get on any elevators or escalators, it's all on the same level and in the same building. (i.e. don't follow everyone down the escalator to the plane train.)

https://maps.flydenver.com/?s=eyJtYXBSZW5kZXJlciI6eyJ2cCI6eyJsYXQiOjM5Ljg2MzU5NiwibG5nIjotMTA0LjY3MD...

Looking at the schedule tomorrow for what might be a similar flight the gates are arriving C35 and departing C28 which would be a best case of two gates that are very close to each other, just head across the walkway to the other side. (But who knows what it will be on that day.) Hopefully a similar lineup on your future day of flight.

DancingDavidE_0-1678651086249.png

Very close and don't even have to go through the center atrium.

DancingDavidE_1-1678651116671.png

Tell the kid to use the bathroom on the plane sometime mid-flight and then they won't even have to worry about that at DEN.

Normally I'd recommend Dazbog coffee in this scenario but maybe not for a teenager. 🍵

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

sarafoster
Explorer B

Airports typically have signage and announcements to guide passengers to their connecting flights. Your 14-year-old should look for signs indicating the gate or terminal of his connecting flight and follow them. If he needs assistance, he can ask any airport staff member or go to a customer service desk for help. It's also a good idea to make sure he knows the airline, flight number, and departure time of his connecting flight in case he needs to ask for assistance.

As for the number of workers at the airport at that time of day, it may depend on the airport and the day of the week. However, most airports have staff available 24/7 to assist passengers.

In terms of tips, you can advise your 14-year-old to give himself plenty of time to get to his gate, stay aware of his surroundings, and avoid leaving his belongings unattended. It may also be helpful to remind him to carry a charged phone with important numbers programmed in, including yours and the airline's customer service number.