Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Damaged Luggage

artaja33
Explorer C

I was traveling from Baltimore BWI to Houston Texas, my flight landed at 1pm and once I got home at 3 I noticed that my zipper was adjusted from the location that i placed it and was broken, after opening my luggage there was a tsa luggage checked slip. My zipper was not broken when I dropped it off for check in but was broken after I picked it up. I'd like to know what will happen next since I am not responsible. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Damaged Luggage

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hmm, interesting as it could have been damaged by either Southwest or TSA.

TSA's policy regarding damaged items can be found here: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

Here's Southwest's damage policy from https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/baggage_faq.html

My baggage was damaged upon arrival at my destination. How should I report this?

Within four hours of arrival at your final destination, please go to the Southwest Airlines Baggage Service Office located in the baggage claim area or the airport ticket counter. Show the baggage to the Southwest Airlines Baggage Service Agent so he/she can assess the damage and liability. While we will do all that we can to rectify the situation, know that we are not liable for manufacturer defects or for minor damage arising from normal wear and tear, such as cuts, scratches, scuffs, stains, dents, punctures, marks, and dirt. Also, keep in mind that we are not liable for baggage carried in the passenger compartment of the aircraft or any items contained in a bag that was deemed to be overstuffed.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

You seem to imply that you think TSA damaged your luggage.

If so, I would think that you should contact TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/contact/customer-service

Bridget45
Explorer C

I had a similar situation Friday night, Feb 1st on a flight from FLL to DAL.  Flight was delayed almost three hours, landed in DAL at 11:30pm, luggage arrived 11:50 pm which was 12:50am my time.  Had people waiting for us, being inconvenienced.  I realize Southwest was not responsible for the delay, it was the weather.  The handle of my suitcase was ripped off one side, consequently all identification gone.  At that time of the morning I was not about to hang around to report it, not realizing that that it had to be reported within 4 hours.  I doubt there was anyone at the airport at that time to report it to, anyway.  I was extremely tired and had people waiting.  Called the next day, told about the 4 hour window in which to report it,  and have since had a reply which said to  "click here" to upload any documentation and enter a message fornCBS representatives. I have photos I'd like to send. but  click here responded page not available.  I called, told a website to go to - www.bagclaim.southwest.com and told to enter my incident number and my last name????  Couldn't see any provision for that!!  They don't make it easy.  I cannot use my luggage with the handle hanging off.  Have always promoted Southwest Airlines.  Thinking twice about it now.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that yor luggage was damaged. 

I cant find that website . A spoofed phony form comes up as an alternative. Do not use this form as it asks for birth date and soical security number -- an obvious attempt at identity theft.

If I were you I'd e-mail customer service. To do so click of "contact us" at the bottom of this page and then pick e-mail from the contact chices listed on the top left of the ensuing page.

jwmillerX
Explorer C

Yep! WTH is this 4-hour window?? Does anyone know if this is legal? 

I had my wallet stolen out of my locked luggage on a flight from Houston to Denver.
Lucky for me all I lost was some gift cards, AAA card, etc, but now the bag is damaged and the zipper won't close. You can tell they forcibly broke into the bag. 

I am also reconsidering Southwest as my go-to airline!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jwmillerX wrote:

Yep! WTH is this 4-hour window?? Does anyone know if this is legal? 

I had my wallet stolen out of my locked luggage on a flight from Houston to Denver.
Lucky for me all I lost was some gift cards, AAA card, etc, but now the bag is damaged and the zipper won't close. You can tell they forcibly broke into the bag. 

I am also reconsidering Southwest as my go-to airline!

As the damage was related to the theft (forcing the bag open) and the theft is more likely to be committed by TSA screeners than Southwest handlers, the 4 hour time period is probably not relevant nor is your concern about flying Southwest. I suggest you report the theft to TSA:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/passenger-support/claims

Other forums have had comments that suggest a lock is a red flag to screeners and may lead to more theft than it protects. It's just a theory, but does seem to signal you have something important or valuable so perhaps skip the lock from now on? Bad people are going to get in no matter what. Also, I can't imagine ever checking my wallet, that seems like such a horrible idea.

--TheMiddleSeat

jwmillerX
Explorer C

Yeah, I checked it because it did not have any of my really important things in it. No credit cards, no Driver's license, Nothing really but a bunch of other things AAA card, Allstate road service card, and two gift cards. Everything can be replaced but the Gift cards. 

Yeah my bad for thinking TSA makes Airline travel safer.

I really think this was a Baggage handler for Southwest though. As my luggage did not contain a TSA doc that said they looked in my luggage.

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

I picked my bag off the belt late one night in Orlando and one of the wheels was halfway off. Fell off completely as I was going to the car rental area. I was not aware of the four-hour rule and reported it the next morning. SWA would not replace the bag but did give me a $75 credit for future travel which I am using this weekend, in fact!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@jwmillerX wrote:

I really think this was a Baggage handler for Southwest though. As my luggage did not contain a TSA doc that said they looked in my luggage.

"Hi, I stole something and left this business card so you know I was here"? 

Lol, I don't think that's how it works. 

--TheMiddleSeat