Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Daughter’s disaster flights/baggage

Hopingmoore
Explorer C

Our daughter was supposed to leave TPA-BWI yesterday 12:30 and then BWI-SYR at 4:15. Spent all day at TPA delay delay delay missed connection. Finally made it to BWI delay delay delay was able to finally secure a seat into SYR late. Now they can’t locate her luggage. No luck with email, calling, messaging. How can an 800 number actually be busy? Just watched a newscast here in Tampa about the thousands of unclaimed luggage from Southwest airlines, flooding the baggage claim area because of all the mismanaged flights. So sad to think how many people are without their belongings this holiday season.https://fox13news.com/news/thousands-of-bags-pile-up-in-tampa-international-airports-baggage-claim-a...

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Daughter’s disaster flights/baggage

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So your daughter made it the same day not sleeping in the airport for days If so I need your daughter to pick my lotto numbers. At this point be glad she made it that hasn’t been the case for many others. 

now with the bag I’d go to the BSO at baggage claim and file a delayed bag report so they can call you when the bag arrives. There is a major mess going on right now so it may take several days before the bag arrives while it may be tough patiently waiting will be the best option after the repot is completed 

Good Luck! 

JGBUNDY82
Explorer C

That is terrible and I feel your pain. My son and  I had a similar issue with the flights only to end up landing 2 hours away from where I needed to be and with out our luggage. I immediately went to baggage claim when I landed and was told they would be on a flight the next day. so after a $170 uber to my vehicle in long term parking at the original airport I realized I had my keys in my lost luggage. After numerous dropped calls and busy signals I made it back to the baggage claim dept at airport to be given a delayed baggage receipt.  Here I am 6 days later and still no bags. scan shows they have not even moved. yes truck is still in long term parking. 

Hopingmoore
Explorer C

Omg 6 days later and still nothing, that is awful! Our daughter has still received no communication about her luggage. She had to go and buy clothing and stuff today. All her gifts for family are hanging out there in limbo. We have no idea if her bags left Tampa or are at BWI or anything!! Still can’t reach anyone by any contact methods!! Hopefully they compensate for all of your expenses as well as our daughter’s. Best of luck!

floridaguy
Aviator C

This is a sad situation.  

We should ask Southwest's CEO to resign.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Information about requesting reimbursement of expenses can be found here:

https://www.southwest.com/traveldisruption/

--TheMiddleSeat

Madidav
Explorer B

We haven’t received luggage and it has been 10 days. No communication or anything. When we talked to them at desk they said estimate of 6-8 weeks to get luggage 

Baymax88
Explorer C

Your daughter got lucky, she still got to her destination. My mom and I got rebooked when the check-in agents couldn't get customers' bags checked in in a timely manner the morning of my flight (despite getting there 2 hours early). A bunch of people missed their flights and got rebooked. We ended up with a flight that had a connection and Southwest cancelled the second leg to our final destination. Bought tickets out of pocket. And then our flight home was cancelled to...ugh.

I would report the lost bag here and also attach receipts for what your daughter spent on clothing. Supposedly, Southwest will reimburse for costs within reason: https://support.southwest.com/email-us/s/. I'm using this to request reimbursements for my costs as well...not sure how long it'll take to get the reimbursements since they're going to get thousands of requests, so we'll see...