Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Daylight Saving Time Check-in

danellesw
Explorer C

The travel advisory says:

If you are traveling on Sunday, March 11, 2018, you must wait until 23 hours prior to your flight’s scheduled departure to check in and receive your boarding pass. See you onboard soon!

I am so confused by this.  Does it mean I should check in at 2pm Saturday even though that is only 23 hours before my flight on Sunday?   If so, why didn't they just say check in at the normal time even though that is only 23 hours before your flight?  

Or does it mean I should check in at 3pm Saturday, which seems like 23 hours before my flight on Sunday, at least based on clock time?

This seems harder than it should be.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Daylight Saving Time Check-in

franktravel
Aviator B

You would check in @3:00 pm Saturday.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Actually, no. You check in at 23 hours prior to departure, which would be 2pm.

We lose an hour Saturday night, meaning 2pm Saturday to 2pm Sunday = 23 hours.

Southwest's language does make it seem harder than it should be. Assuming you're in the city of departure (or the same time zone) you'll simply check in at the "regular" time according to the clock (same time as departure, one day earlier), which will actually be 23 hours prior to departure.

Checking in at 3pm would be checking in at 22 hours prior, and would mean other passengers would have had an hour's start ahead of you in checking in.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

OMG -- They just updated the Travel Advisory to be even less helpful. This happens every year -- no one at Southwest can seem to remember how the transition works. 😉

It now says:

Daylight Saving Time Begins

If you are traveling on Sunday, March 11, 2018, please be aware that the Daylight Savings Time change will begin in some areas of the United States. See you onboard soon!