Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Dead Horse on printing boarding pass before checking in.

mrbreeze
Explorer C

I've searched history. Newest comment I could find was 2019 so I'll ask again.  

We are older and so not so comfortable with smart phones. We like an old fashioned paper boarding pass but will not have access to a printer after the 24 hr check in. 

The kiosk can be a struggle for early AM flights when your running late, half awake and anxious to get through security.

I chatted with SW who offered no help. I think you used to be able to do a" faux check in" and get the print option. It seems SW may have removed this convenience? 

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Dead Horse on printing boarding pass before checking in.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You can check in on any computer, and print your paper boarding pass on any printer tied to any computer -- think library  if need be.

You don't need a printer at check in time., but you do need to check in. You can print your boarding pass any time after you have checked in but before you enter TSA security. 

mrbreeze
Explorer C

So you cannot print a boarding pass until after check in. This is very inconvenient for us older folks. 

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I don't believe you can print a boarding pass for any airline until you "check in" either in person or online.

Whether you're checking bags or not, you can secure your boarding pass from the SWA rep. at baggage check. Also the self check in kiosks are easy to use if you just need a paper boarding pass as well, just have the Credit card you used to buy your tickets, It's a good idea to have your alpha numeric confirmation # written down as well.

My octogenarian mother navigates this process with no problem, so age is not a barrier or an excuse.

Safe travels, give yourself an extra 15 minutes to reduce any stress.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mrbreeze wrote:

So you cannot print a boarding pass until after check in. This is very inconvenient for us older folks. 

???????????????????????????

Solution: get your boarding pass at the same time you do check in. After all, you are already in southwest.com or the app.

This does not have to be a two step process

edit dd: No one has ever been able to print a boarding pass before checking in -- on any airline.

jj1814
Adventurer C

They may be used to flying when they sent your  boarding pass in the mail after booking.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mrbreeze wrote:

I've searched history. Newest comment I could find was 2019 so I'll ask again.  

We are older and so not so comfortable with smart phones. We like an old fashioned paper boarding pass but will not have access to a printer after the 24 hr check in. 

The kiosk can be a struggle for early AM flights when your running late, half awake and anxious to get through security.

I chatted with SW who offered no help. I think you used to be able to do a" faux check in" and get the print option. It seems SW may have removed this convenience? 

Do the check-in however you were doing it at 24 hours, without a printer. That secures your position. Text it to yourself and you can save the graphic to easily log in for printing the next day at the airport.

Then:

a) if you are checking any luggage it won't add a minute to get printed boarding passes too. Curbside can even do this if you check with that approach. Tip the person a few bucks and I'd ask them just to print the passes without checking. When you checked-in the day before you secured your number, so you are already checked in, now you are only completing the process by printing it.

b) if having only carry-ons you can still use the self-service kiosk to self-service print boarding passes only. show the texted pass to the scanner and your reservation will come right up. you are already checked in from before and keep your number, you are just getting a pass printed the same day.

Either way getting a pass printed at the airport is only a minute or two if there's a big line. If you are running that far behind then it isn't the passes that are holding you back. Checking luggage can have a big line, that's where I would get anxious if habitually cutting it close. (I'm a poster child for this.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.