Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Delayed vs “Undelayed”

vtayeh
Explorer C

The worst experience I’ve had so far with SW! Received a message 4 hrs before my flight that my flight was being delayed 1 hr. So instead of arriving to the airport for the original flight time, I decided to stay at home, traveling with a toddler so I’m sure people will understand why I made this decision. Now I understand that SW is required to notify when there’s a delay but then there’s no requirement to notify us of an “undelay” in a timely manner to arrive at the airport at the 2hrs prior to boarding as suggested. When I arrived, my bag couldn’t be checked and the customer service rep said SW can “undelay” a flight, yes that’s the word she used. I’m like ok, so what can we do? She said to try to make it thru security and she was going to call the gate and we made it to the gate 15mins later only the see the door closed at the gate. I’m sure I’m not only customer on that flight that this occurred, because I was rebooked for a later flight which had 16 seats available and when it came to board there were no seats available and 5 additional people on the waitlist. So SW, make your delayed flight decisions appropriately. Please make up your minds 2.5hrs before the flight so as to NOT screw with your customers. Oh a get this, the flight I was rescheduled for WAS delayed, no prior notice or message sent and for some reason that’s ok. Obviously I learned my lesson to ignore those delayed notifications because it doesn’t mean a thing, it’s just something they are required to do.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Delayed vs “Undelayed”

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, as you've discovered, even with a "delay" a flight can still go out more-or-less on time. The factors that cause delays can come and go, and planes can be swapped to accommodate need. Even with a posted delay you still need to be at the airport in time to board your flight as originally scheduled. This is one of those unfortunate realities of air travel (now exacerbated by post-pandemic staffing complications) that seasoned travelers learn to take in stride.

dfwskier
Aviator A

I have had that  happen, and it is irritating as hell.

Luckily, I kept monitoring flight status, saw what was happening,  and was able to get to the AP in time to catch my flight

vtayeh
Explorer C

Unfortunate realities… really. No offense, but @chgoflyer have you traveled with a toddler and attempted to keep them calm for not just a delay but during a flight? The actual reality is that SW is required by law to provide a notification of delay and that’s it. They don’t care about the ramifications that causes. And I’m just supposed to deal with their delayed and undelayed notification stupidity. SW is missing the whole point as to why you’d notify someone of a delay. If the point is to be at the airport at the original scheduled time, no matter what, then why send a delay notification? SW is going to do whatever they please, whenever they please. My time is not on their list of things that concern them.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@vtayeh wrote:

If the point is to be at the airport at the original scheduled time, no matter what, then why send a delay notification? 

Because, as you pointed out, they are legally required to. 

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@vtayeh wrote:

Unfortunate realities… really. No offense, but @chgoflyer have you traveled with a toddler and attempted to keep them calm for not just a delay but during a flight? The actual reality is that SW is required by law to provide a notification of delay and that’s it. They don’t care about the ramifications that causes.

That's ridiculous. What exactly should the airline do to "care" about the 

ramifications

And I’m just supposed to deal with their delayed and undelayed notification stupidity. SW is missing the whole point as to why you’d notify someone of a delay. If the point is to be at the airport at the original scheduled time, no matter what, then why send a delay notification?

Maybe because at the time the notifications is sent the airline is not yet aware that some other possibility exists. Besides, it's probably an automated process where the system automatically sends the notice when it becomes aware of a delay of "X" minutes.  It's not like there are lots of people looking at the thousands of flights every day and then deciding to send the notices.

Further, I suspect the system is probably not equipped with flights that become undelayed.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@vtayeh wrote:

Unfortunate realities… really. No offense, but @chgoflyer have you traveled with a toddler and attempted to keep them calm for not just a delay but during a flight? The actual reality is that SW is required by law to provide a notification of delay and that’s it. They don’t care about the ramifications that causes. And I’m just supposed to deal with their delayed and undelayed notification stupidity. SW is missing the whole point as to why you’d notify someone of a delay. If the point is to be at the airport at the original scheduled time, no matter what, then why send a delay notification? SW is going to do whatever they please, whenever they please. My time is not on their list of things that concern them.

I have, the littles have gone all over the country with Southwest. It's unfortunate that there seems to be some extra time and I get what you are saying for sure, but you really do have to get to the airport as if it was on time just in case. The best suggestion would be to get through security and then try to find some distraction once you are airside. Or if the posted delay is long enough ask to go on an earlier flight instead. 

I'm sorry this happened, I hope everything worked out in the end. Unfortunately it is true that although they try to keep you posted the departure time can go both up and down.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

Once a delay hits 30min or longer it will send you the notice based on how you chose to be contacted when you bought your flight this could be at 8am for an 8pm flight a lot can happen in 12 hours in this example. The fine print always says to arrive as if the flight is on time because things do change. 

You could also check the app throughout the day to see if the time has changed or use websites like flightawre

Airlines don't send hey your flight is not delayed anymore messages because it will cause confusion should it be delayed again 

jksobonya
Aviator A

@vtayeh wrote:

Received a message 4 hrs before my flight that my flight was being delayed 1 hr. So instead of arriving to the airport for the original flight time, I decided to stay at home

I don't mean to be rude - but why on earth would you do this? An hour isn't a huge difference, and things change. It makes no difference if you travel solo or if you have 10 kids. You should always plan to be at the airport for the originally scheduled departure time. 

--Jessica