Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Dilemma!!!!

Martininblack63
Explorer C

On a recent flight which was full, I hadn't taken early bird check in and was assigned to a high "c"check in slot. The only seat I found was between two larger passengers. I asked to get into the middle seat and after getting dirty looks I realized that the passenger on the aisle seat was too large for her seat and had lifted the arm rest. She spilled a quarter of the way into my seat. There was no room on the other side as her friend who didn't wish to give up her window seat had no room to spare either. I should mention that these seats were behind the double seats in the exit row. I chose not to say anything but wish there was a discreet way to bring this to the flight attendants attention as it was uncomfortable for both of us....

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Dilemma!!!!

unefois222
Explorer C

Living in San Antonio, this is a concern.  It seems as though I am always stuck in the middle as well.  Individuals who overflow into another seat should be charged for that seat as well.  Why should the oversized individual have comfort and those of us not oversized have to suffer when paying for the same seat fare.  Southwest please fix this concern.

Re: Dilemma!!!!

maggiewaterman
Explorer C

Logically, one might think that the middle would be the worst case scenario. But when it happened to me I was on the aisle. Leaning into the aisle to accomodate the bulk of the other person (it really wasn't their fault - their size was larger than the seat) was all I could do at the time. But it caused me physical pain because you cannot sit leaning sideways for extended periods of time without damage, at least not when you're in your sixties. I suffered for awhile as a result. It's too bad large people don't follow SWA policy on oversized persons. If they reserve ahead, then that overbooked situation would have been less likely and there would have been enough room. (overbooked because of the need for two rather than one seats) Southwest doesn't even charge for the extra seat. They refund the fee for the space. If there is plenty of room on the plane, the large persons can request the reserved extra seat at no charge the day of the flight by approaching the staff at boarding. Good to know. Pass in on to the "large-and-in-charge" in your life.