Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Disability

martink
Explorer C

I have gone to the gate agent presented my disability card and still been questionned as to why I need pre boarding. I have been told that I can board after the A's or board with the families. I feel with a disability card, I should be given pre boarding without having to be harassed by the ticket agent.

It is not all agents, but a girl named Jennifer at the Pgh airport was certainly one of them. I wrote to Southwest but never heard a response.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Disability

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't know what a disability card is, or what disabilities are covered, but based on the description so far I think the actions are consistent with the policies. Boarding between the A and B group with family boarding is what is described for passengers that "need extra time boarding" which may be appropriate depending on what your needs are.

https://www.southwest.com/html/generated/help/faqs/boarding_the_plane_faq.html

Do passengers with disabilities get to preboard?

Preboarding is available for Customers who have a specific seating need to accommodate their disability and/or need assistance in boarding the aircraft or stowing an assistive device. Customers who are traveling with assistance and emotional support animals qualify for preboarding. If a Customer with a disability simply needs a little extra time to board, we will permit the Customer to board before Family Boarding, between the A and B groups. Those Customers who need extra time to board will receive a new boarding pass with an extra time designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to board before Family Boarding.

We will allow one travel companion...<snip>...Customers should request preboarding from our Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter or departure gate. Our Agents are trained to ask factfinding questions to determine if the Customer meets the qualifications described above.

Those Customers who qualify for preboarding will receive a new boarding pass with a preboarding designation. The designation serves as notification to our Operations (Boarding) Agent that the Customer should be permitted to preboard.

It's important to keep in mind that Customers who preboard may not occupy an exit seat.

Note: Customers who are preboarding because of a need for a specific seat onboard the aircraft should speak with the Operations (Boarding) Agent prior to the start of preboarding to alert the Agent to the seating need.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

martink
Explorer C

A disability card is a card stating that you are ADA compliant, meaning you are handicap. You should not have to state to a employee what your handicap is with that card.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You never have to state to a Southwest employee what your disability is. The questions they will ask when you request a pre-board slip are, do you need assistance boarding the plane, or do you need a specific seat. If you answer yes to either you pre board. If you simply need more time getting to your seat, you are asked to board after the A group and before the B group.