Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Disabled people cheating to board early. – PROBLEM SOLVED!

hockeydiva
Adventurer B

@chgoflyer wrote:

@hockeydiva wrote:

This would absolutely solve the problem!

If only it were possible. But it's not. Because -- as has been mentioned many, many times now -- Southwest cannot -- in an "open seating" system -- specify which seats pre-boarders can or can't use. To do so would be a violation of the Air Carrier Access Act.

The only "solution," sadly, is assigned seating.

This is incorrect.

The ACAA states that disabled people cannot be forced "to sit in a particular seat on the basis of disability." The ACAA does NOT mention preboarding.

The solution is to allow disabled passengers who wish to avail themselves of the opportunity to pre-board to select from seats toward the back of the plane. Disabled passengers who do not wish to use pre-boarding may select any available seat when they board at their assigned boarding position. {Exit row can be restricted to those who can perform the required functions.]

Such a policy would comply with the ACAA and eliminate the incentive to pre-board by those who do not truly need it.

As far as those people who have commented that they (or their children) need a seat near the front to be near the lavatory, they would actually be better served by being near the back of the plane where there are two lavatories, and passengers can line up to wait when those are both full. If the front lavatory is in use, a passenger cannot stand in the aisle to wait for it. 

along0611
Explorer C

As a person that "doesn't look disabled" your statements about pushing pre-board people to back is beyond problematic. If I had to go to the back I would have to walk the entire length of the plane, which I am not able to do without the use of my cane or walker, that I have to check at the door. Most people that pre-board sit in the front of the plane because they struggle to walk long distances or move through the row on thier own. 

Perhaps the solution to the problem is  to accept that you are not able to judge if a stranger is "worthy" of pre-boarding. Have some compassion for people, educate yourself on invisable disabilties and illnesses. 

The fact that you say that you will "start carrying a cane" is SO incredibly offensive to the people that have to use mobility devices and struggle to navigate these spaces constantly because of people like you. 

I am sure there a a few people that take advantage of the system but think about how wonderful it is that for once in the world people that do have disabilities are able to ask for a reasonable acommidation without having to tell personal details about their health and bodies and be treated with respect. 

You are so lucky to not ever had to experince being judged, harassed, or worse by people like you who think thier need for leg room is more important than my abilty to walk to a seat on my own. 

Educate yourself. 

ronnyradio
Adventurer A

@along0611 wrote:

If I had to go to the back I would have to walk the entire length of the plane, which I am not able to do without the use of my cane or walker, that I have to check at the door. Most people that pre-board sit in the front of the plane because they struggle to walk long distances or move through the row on thier own. 

So how do pre-boards on every other airline make it through the first-class sections and even economy plus??  I don't see those airlines giving it away to those who pre-board....

BLT1
Explorer C

No. Not problem solved. How about you ride on the wing. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Pre boarding has been discussed since the dawn of recorded time.  Learn to like it because it is not going away and no one is going to have to prove their disability.

You "self identify" with a disability and you preboard.

BLT1
Explorer C

The invisible disabilities is being used to death. Most invisible disabilities do not require early boarding. I know so many people claim this yet I see them out and about doing everything normally. As a person with a spinal birth defect  I resent them. I do agree that some are legit, very much so but now everyone with a hang nail is claiming this.  I grew up without the ADA act. I was so thankful when it came about. Now it’s the most abused thing there is. Being disabled is a hard way of life. You never fit in, you are made fun of and ridiculed.  Many places it’s very hard to get into. Restaurants are a nightmare. Some have handicapped tables that others sit at all the time. Others use the handicapped stall in restrooms all the time. People that can take stairs rush into an elevator ahead of us many times so we can’t get in. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@BLT1 wrote:

The invisible disabilities is being used to death. Most invisible disabilities do not require early boarding.

The federal government says you do not get to make that determination. Only the traveler who chooses to early board has that right.

Wanna change that?  Complain  to your elected representatives and tell them you want the law changed.

Mamabear
Explorer C

I find this very disheartening. I have a child who is on the Autism Spectrum and you may never know of his disibility by looking at him. This is assuming, you've never seen a"meltdown". However, he is very anxious when it comes to flying. I also have a son who is a Marine and you would also probably never know of his PTSD unless you had a conversation with him, let alone know he's a Veteran. So, am I to expect, someone who has height issues and time constraints to take priority over those who have legitimate phyisical/psychological issues?  How about YOU schedule your flight earlier so that you can make your meetings.  I don't care if you "hate" the exit row. Take it and schedule an earlier flight. There are those of us who must fly to get to a particular destination who have serious issues with flying. I suppose the child with cancer flying to St. Jude's Childrens hospital with their family should take a back seat to you as well?  Might I suggest that since you're SO important, you take another airline with assigned seating. This way, those of us "fake people" who are trying to get to our destination wthout incident, won't be an inconvenience to you. Problem Solved!

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Well, you can thank the people faking medical issues to preboard and get the better seats.  Its better to them to do this than pay the $30 for an early boarding number.

It has gotten way out of hand but SWA either ignores it or refuses to acknoeldge the problem.

BLT1
Explorer C

I understand how traumatic these issues are I fail to comprehend how you need pre boarding with these issues.  This is where the problem is. As a person with Spina Bifida who has to have the bulkhead because I have no knee, a rod is in my leg from hip to ankle therefore my leg sticks straight out. I physically need the room. You want the perks without actually needing them. You don’t need physical help, others require it.  You have ruined it for those of us who require assistance.