Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Disappointed check in....

Waterwings2
Explorer C

Very disappointed in the service we received today.  As if it isn't enough with all the stress of this terrible virus going on, my mom 94 yrs old fell and broke her hip. For years I have always flown on SWA from Vegas to Cleveland and today maybe will change my mind.  I had to get mom back to Ohio ASAP for health reasons so I bought a ticket for my sister to fly from Ohio to Vegas to pick her up and turn right around and fly back to Ohio.  When checking in, moms suitcase was 5 pounds over due to all the medical supplies needed for her.  The lady checking me in was very rude and told me I had to "lighten up and get rid of those 5 extra pounds." I have been a flight attendant for 38 yrs and was embarrassed for her of how she treated me and mom.  There were only 10 passengers on moms flight so the weight and balance was not the issue.  This is the time to be kind to each other and that one overlook of the 5 lbs would have gone along way.  It added stress to my mom who was already worried about flying.  How we were treated was terrible and unexceptable.  It was the principal of how we were talked to... not the money for overage.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Disappointed check in....

dfwskier
Aviator A

The rule is in place because heavier bags are more likely to injure baggage handlers. It IS a rule.

Why didn't you just take 5 pounds of stuff out of the bag?

SWPosterChild
Explorer B

The attitude of the SW employee  as you describe it is very unfortunate, to say the least.  I also agree with one of the other people commenting that this weight limit restriction is a rule to protect their employees.  This is very important.  However, I personally feel that there were potential options in your situation. First of all, perhaps weight could have been shifted to another piece of luggage, an up charge might have been appropriate given that 2 free pieces are included with every trip, but certainly a congenial approach on both party's parts would have been appropriate.  Personally, I have NEVER been treated with anything but the utmost respect and courtesy by any Southwest employee.  I'm extremely surprised by the way you described your interaction. I hope that your mom is doing well.

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

Sorry to hear about your check in experience because of an overweight bag. If you would like to share your feedback with Southwest directly I would reach out though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your check in experience because of an overweight bag. If you would like to share your feedback with Southwest directly I would reach out though one of these options: Submitting a Suggestion and/or Complaint 

-Blake

If you do reach out, it could be useful for Southwest to hear about the manner of the agent. I'd mostly leave out the details of the 50 lbs though other than why the situation came up, it is a rule that they stick to. I've only rarely heard of any exception even for a pound over.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

shuebschma01
Explorer A

The best thing I ever bought was a luggage scale.  I used to always be one of those people who to stand at the counter and shift my things around due to my bags being overweight.  Since I started using my luggage scale before I leave my house, overweight bags have not been a problem.

gsking
Aviator C

Sorry, I totally disagree.   You were treated professionally, and in accordance with the rules.   You wanted special consideration and didn't get it.   So you come and complain here.   Claiming you were a flight attendant doesn't bolster your case.   On the contrary it makes you a hypocrite. 

Next time weigh your bag.   Don't make other people strain to compensate for your laziness.