Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ESA documentation

Leslynn24
Explorer C

Question- I recently moved states and have got an updated documented prescription for needing my emotional support dog due to anxiety but it’s not a letterhead . It still has all the bullet points of doctor name office doctor license number along with stating esa for anxiety and my name.  I fly next week and just don’t want any issues and won’t have time to go see doctor again to get an actual letterhead ? Will the written signed prescription work? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: ESA documentation

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@Leslynn24 wrote:

Question- I recently moved states and have got an updated documented prescription for needing my emotional support dog due to anxiety but it’s not a letterhead . It still has all the bullet points of doctor name office doctor license number along with stating esa for anxiety and my name.  I fly next week and just don’t want any issues and won’t have time to go see doctor again to get an actual letterhead ? Will the written signed prescription work? 

I don't believe there's any such thing as a "prescription" for an emotional support animal. So you'll want to make sure that your documentation meets Southwest's requirements, which do appear to specify letterhead:

Documentation requirements to travel with an emotional support animal

A Customer seeking to travel with an emotional support animal must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current documentation (not more than one year old on the date of travel) on letterhead from a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the Customer's mental health-related disability. The letter must state all four items below:

The Passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders

The Passenger needs the emotional support animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the Passenger's destination

The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor, and the Passenger is under his or her professional care AND

The date and type of mental health professional's or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued

Printable instructions for Traveling with an Emotional Support Animal (PDF).

Perhaps your medical professional can fax or email you what you need. 

Re: ESA documentation

dfwskier
Aviator A

@invisa wrote:

Get the written signed prescription work  emailed or WhatsApped by your doctor and take its print out to the Airport. Simple!

Emotional support animals are no longer allowed at Southwest and almost every other airline. That happened a few months ago when Dept. of Transportation issued a ruling allowing airlines to do so.

Service dogs are still allowed, and passengers may bring smaller dogs  and cats in carriers that fit under seats  on board.