Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

ESA dog

stephaniej89
Explorer C

Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding ESA's. I have a letter from a mental health professional certifying the dog as an ESA and the need for the dog.

1. Are ESA allowed to sit in the bulkhead? If so, how do I go about making sure I am identified as "Pre Board" and can obtain the bulkhead seat. This dog is too large to fit under the seat in front of me.

2.  I understand that the letter needs to be written by a licensed mental health professional, however, my concern is that if the letter is written by an LCSW or anyone who is not a doctor (PhD) it will be a problem. Does Southwest specify who is considered a mental health professional or exclude professionals with certain titles?

Thank you,

Stephanie

1 REPLY 1

Re: ESA dog

franktravel
Aviator B

Documentation requirements for emotional support animals

In order for a Customer to travel with an emotional support animal, the Customer must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current documentation (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the Customer's mental health-related disability stating:

1. The Passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders – Fourth Edition (DSM IV)
  2. The Passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger's destination
  3. The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional or medical doctor, and the Passenger is under his or her professional care AND
  4. The date and type of mental health professional's or medical doctor's license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued

Traveling with an Emotional Support Animal In order for a Customer to travel with an emotional support animal, the Customer must provide to a Southwest Airlines Employee current documentation (not more than one year old) on letterhead from a mental health professional or medical doctor who is treating the Customer’s mental health-related disability stating:

1) The passenger has a mental or emotional disability recognized in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - Fourth Edition (DSM IV)

2) The passenger needs the emotional support or psychiatric service animal as an accommodation for air travel and/or for activity at the passenger’s destination

3) The individual providing the assessment is a licensed mental health professional, and the passenger is under his or her professional care AND

4) The date and type of the mental health professional's or medical doctor’s license and the state or other jurisdiction in which it was issued. Southwest Airlines does not accept for transportation therapy dogs or exotic animals. Please note that Customers traveling with an assistance animal or an emotional support animal may not sit in an emergency exit seat.