Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird - B55????

RBurghardt
Explorer C

I paid extra for the early bird for my round trip from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas at a cost of $50.  My first boarding pass was just delivered and I am boarding position B55.  I’ve never been that late when I have non early bird.  Did I just get scammed out of $50?

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Early Bird - B55????

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Lots of factors go into what boarding position you are assigned. The system checked you in so it did what it said it would do and you received a better boarding position than someone without EarlyBird. With so many people buying EarlyBird or having A-List and A-List companion status the days of getting A boarding positions with EarlyBird are mostly gone. I personally prefer the upgraded boarding option over EarlyBird, it's a few dollars more, but guarantees a A1-15 spot. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I'd ask for a refund.  Complete waste of money.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

More bad advice from @floridaguy

EarlyBird did what it promised. There is no "I expected a better boarding position" guarantee 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

It is beyond apparent that the individual bought the early bird check-in to get a better boarding position.  What else would you buy that for?

Like I said, contact Southwest and ask for a refund.  You have that right.

Remember, being a frequent contributor does not mean that you have the exclusive right to give feedback.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy

Let's take a look.... 

"EarlyBird Check-In is an option giving you the convenience of automatic check-in before our traditional 24-hour check-in. As an EarlyBird Check-In Customer, you’ll have the benefit of an earlier boarding position, a better opportunity to select your preferred available seat, and earlier access to overhead bin storage for your carryon luggage."

Nope, no guarantee of any specific boarding position. EarlyBird checks you in and does so before people without EarlyBird. That was done and the customer got what they paid for. Their boarding position was better than someone who checked in at 24 hours prior to departure. As "Mr. Preboard Abuser" it's clear you don't know anything about EarlyBird Check-In. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, I wouldn't waste my money on such nonsense.  B55 is hardly worth the cost.

Ask for a refund.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy disliking the boarding position is not grounds for a refund. When will you ever learn? 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy 

i have a question 

if I book a hotel with check in at 4pm and I arrive at 4:02pm to be told my room isn’t ready should I ask for a refund while still keeping my hotel reservation? 

floridaguy
Aviator C

That's hardly the point.  

The OP paid to get a better boarding position.  While there is no guarantee,B55 is not an early position.  It is almost in the C group.

As such, Southwest is going to have to stop selling the early check in if the seating positions are already getting deep.

Of course, Southwest needs money right now to cover the Holiday DISASTER.