Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Check-In and still got a "B" boarding position???

JFGREEN72
Explorer C

Southwest is making out like a bandit with this...really seems like a waste of money. The system could definitely use a tune-up. I know there are no gaurantees, but it just seems very flawed for an extra $30.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Early Bird Check-In and still got a "B" boarding position???

dfwskier
Aviator A

see the other early bird thread for possible exsplanations

chgoflyer
Aviator A

With more and more people getting B positions (and sometimes even C), after paying the extra fee, the system is reaching the point where it will need another adjustment. The initial price has been raised twice now ($10, then $12.50, now $15), and one wonders what the ceiling is, when Upgraded Boarding at the gate, which guarantees an A position can be bought for as low as $30 (currently). Limiting EBCI to only A positions would seem a good idea, but I doubt that will happen, as it poses a technological challenge for Southwest's IT (and they're already pretty "challenged") and it's doubtful that Southwest would choose a solution that leaves money on the table. My best guess is another price increase, which will tide them over until they completely overhaul their boarding system (again), with the goal "fixing" pre-boarding, seat-saving & EBCI complaints, while increasing ancillary revenue.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Purchasing EB does not guarantee any position, and there are several reasons why you may be well into the B group with EB.  

First of all, there are lots of A Listers.  I am A List Pref, and it is common for me to be 3/4 of the way down in the A group.  These folks fly a lot, so SW rightfully awards them with priority boarding.  After A List Pref and the A List is EB, and there are often many folks who pay for EB.

Remember that the boarding position is no the only benefit of EB.  One of the best benefits is that you don't have to rush to check in at the 24 hour mark because SW holds your spot.  Will you be busy at that time?  EB has your back!

-A List, Companion Pass holder