Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early Bird Check-in: NOT WHAT IT SEEMS, FALSE ADVERTISING

denno
Adventurer B

Slow your roll, Middle Seat.  I’m saying, eliminate early bird, and make the purchase date the time of sequencing for all except A-Listers, and the higher fare levels.  Each fare level could have its own sequence batch.  Highest fair level given highest group with date of purchase determining sequence within the group and bye-bye EBCI altogether. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Southwest has ALWAYS given ticket holders the responsibility for determining their boarding positions - going back to the first day SW took flight..

In the old days, with plastic boarding passes, the first one to the gate to get a pass got A1. The next one got A2. The 61st  one got B-1.

When SW went with electronic boarding passes 15-20 years ago it changed to   check in determining boarding position, with A-Listers taking priority.  Then EB was born allowing passengers to skip the line.

SInce SW's philosophy of giving passengers responsibility for determining boarding positions is a 52 year old philosophy, it is unlikely to change. 

denno
Adventurer B

Slow your roll, Middle Seat.  I’m saying, eliminate early bird, and make the purchase date the time of sequencing for all except A-Listers, and the higher fare levels.  Each fare level could have its own sequence batch.  Highest fair level given highest group with date of purchase determining sequence within the group and bye-bye EBCI altogether. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I will also add that now that upgraded boarding can be purchased on the app it is my recommended method of getting a better boarding position.  If you have a non-stop flight, the price is not much more than EarlyBird and guarantees you an A1-15 boarding spot.  My suggestion to folks is to skip EarlyBird, attempt to check-in at 24 hours or as close to that as possible, then make a decision to upgrade or not based on the boarding position received.  Flights with connections would probably still be better with EarlyBird due to upgraded boarding being an additional charge on each leg.

--TheMiddleSeat

KathleenRuth
Explorer C

OMG, Southwest does not vet people who sign up for early boarding due to being unable to board on their own.  The last many flights I have been on had up to 30 able-bodied travelers getting on the flight before the Business Class and the A group.

Word must be out that all you have to do is check a Yes or No to get early boarding and no one at the gate or check in vets these cheaters.

What is the point of being on the A-List?

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am wondering if now is a time to sing the little song?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@KathleenRuth that subject has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. There are plenty (aka too many) other threads about that subject, you don't need to hijack this one. 

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I say let her say what is on her mind.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy nothing is stopping them from starting a new thread, just don't post in an unrelated thread.

--TheMiddleSeat

deniseTravels
Explorer C

I 100% agree!   Family boarding is between A and B.   B ppl are early birds who paid.  So what do we get?  The privilege to sit with a kid who didnt pay extra?