Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Checkin

drjohng
Explorer C
I paid for Early Bird Check in. on the first leg of my trip (LAX-DEN), I received a A51 boarding position.  While I was on line talking to other passenger (who were ahead of me, I came to realize that they did not have Early Bird check-in.  Again receiving an A51 position for my second leg, and because of what happened on the first leg, I took the opportunity to talk to passengers who were positioned before me on my second (DEN-PHL) leg. . Of the six people that I spoke to, NONE, were Early Bird Boarding passengers. I requested the ground representative, to correct this.  She suggested I pay $40 in addition to the $25 that I already paid to upgrade.  Of the people I talked up to passenger #35 said they all said they just purchased their ticket and got their position upon check-in.  I believe they do not  automatically check you in. Rather I was assigned a position at the time you print your boarding pass.  That is not what is stated on your website. I wrote customer service who replied, "sorry, we did it all correctly" . NOT!
FYI, the following is from SWA website:

• Automatic Check-in
    Whether you choose to print your boarding pass the day before or just hours before the flight, your confirmed boarding position will be ready and waiting for you. Now you can print your boarding pass as your schedule allows.
  • Better boarding position
    We'll automatically check you in and assign your boarding position within 36 hours of your flight's departure - that's 12 hours before general boarding positions become available. While EarlyBird Check-In® doesn't guarantee an A boarding position, it improves your seat selection options to help you get your favorite seat.
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Early Bird Checkin

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

were   the   eariler     business    select?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

There is another way it could happen. When passengers cancel or no show for a flight their boarding positions become available again. When passengers cancel or no show their boarding positions become available.

So a passenger that checks in an 60 minutes before boarding would get A16 if the person holding A16 cancels 61 minutes before departure.

If a of A-List or EB purchasers group cancels less than 24 hours before departure time , then potentially lots of "better" boarding positions would become available 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

There is another way it could happen. When passengers cancel or no show for a flight their boarding positions become available again. When passengers cancel or no show their boarding positions become available.

So a passenger that checks in an 60 minutes before boarding would get A16 if the person holding A16 cancels 61 minutes before departure.

If a of A-List or EB purchasers group cancels less than 24 hours before departure time , then potentially lots of "better" boarding positions would become available 

FYI: Actually, Southwest stopped the practice of re-using boarding positions quite some time ago (according to a Southwest rep in this thread over on FlyerTalk).

dfwskier
Aviator A

Didn't know that

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

Didn't know that

It was news to me too. 

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

So you got an A boarding pass and your not happy? A lot of other people who buy EB end up with the B boarding group. 

Why were they ahead of you? A List customers and their companions get assigned boarding passes before EB folks. 2nd if an A List customer or A boarding pass customer were to cancel then the next person to check in will get that A boarding pass even if they check in say 5 hours before the flight. A List folks can fly standby so those A group passes could open up. Also if there is a delay that would affect other A group customers they could be moved to other flights. 

If you are really that upset about getting an A boarding pass you can share your feedback with southwest directly  though one of these contact methods Contact Customer Relations 

-Blake