Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Companion Pass

Rl4dfy
Explorer C

I was just told by a Southwest Travel agent on the phone that since I am a A-List member I DO NOT need to purchase early bird for my companion anymore. Is that true? I cannot find it in writing anywhere. Will they board close to or the number after me? Any information would be great, thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Early Bird Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

True.

Sequential boarding position will be assigned.

This does not work if CP holder purchases a Business Select ticket.

--TheMiddleSeat

Rl4dfy
Explorer C

Oh that might make sense because I went BC and my wife ended up with a "C" ticket. Does that sound right? That is why I didn't think it was true.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Did you mean BS for Business Select?  If so, then the companion needs to do their own check-in at 24 hours prior or purchase EBCI.

--TheMiddleSeat

Rl4dfy
Explorer C

Yes I meant BS. Just trying to figure out why they ended up way in the back so I don't make that mistake again.

Rl4dfy
Explorer C

You seem well informed, but is this in writing somewhere?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Nope, but you can find many reports of this new benefit here in the Community.

--TheMiddleSeat

aMomTo6
Adventurer B

This info is in the FAQs for A list benefits:

In addition, you and all Passengers included on your reservation will receive priority boarding which means Southwest will automatically reserve a boarding position 36 hours prior to the flight. You and Passengers on your reservation will still need to check in within 24 hours of scheduled departure to retrieve your boarding passes. Some restrictions apply. These restrictions include, but are not limited to, your reservation must be booked 36 hours prior to scheduled departure, and on Group Travel itineraries, priority boarding will only apply to A-List and A-List Preferred Members.

It doesn't have a caveat about a BS purchase affecting your companion's ticket though. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I guess they did finally put it in writing. It was never formally announced though so many people are not familiar with it. 

--TheMiddleSeat

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Additional observation about this that I found interesting... if the Companion Pass holder is not A-List, but the companion is, then the pass holder still gets a sequential boarding position.  In summary, if either the companion or the companion pass holder is A-List sequential boarding is provided with the A-List holder getting the lower of the two boarding positions.  EarlyBird is not needed if either is A-List.

--TheMiddleSeat