Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird checkin AFTER normal checking

landonsilla
Explorer C

I just checked in late and got a C22.  Can I purchase the Early Bird Checkin product on this flight NOW and get a significantly better boarding group? Or is this product of no value to me?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Early Bird checkin AFTER normal checking

SWDigits
Aviator A
Solution

No, EarlyBird check-in is for BEFORE boarding positions are assigned. Here is the page with EarlyBird FAQ.

Upgraded Boarding, if any A1-A15 positions are available, is available for purchase at the airport.  Upgraded Boarding page.

Customer | Home airport DCA

landonsilla
Explorer C

Ok, then why is this option offered to me now at the 12 hour mark before the flight?  That seems somewhat deceptive to try to sell me a product that does absolutely NOTHING for me in my situation. That is very confusing.

SWDigits
Aviator A
Do you have a return leg on your reservation? EarlyBird is available for purchase on both sides of a round trip.

Customer | Home airport DCA

landonsilla
Explorer C

No, a one way, I am only concerned with this leg. 

You should remove this option if the customer has already checked in.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You shouldn't be seeing this option related to your specific flight once you've checked in. I believe (hopefully) that if you tried to add EBCI now (by entering your confirmation number and name on the "regular" EBCI purchase page) you would receive an error message.

As a reminder, this is a customer-to-customer forum -- none of us work for Southwest. To contact them directly, use any of the methods shown at the bottom of this page.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Or if you see the link applying to a different flight it would be valid, the link won't work for a flight already within the 24-hour check-in window.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chronos
Explorer C

In case anyone stumbles onto this thread, I have made this mistake recently and can confirm the issue. 

I checked into my flight close to 24hrs before departure and received a C10.  Since I would be travelling with 7 year old who is too old for 'Family Boarding' but too young to really sit alone, I needed two seats together. The Southwest app let me buy Early Bird check-ins AFTER I was already checked-in.  My card was charged immediately. 

It was a mistake on my part, and I thought I would be able to get a new boarding assignment, but no dice.  Nothing happened.  So now, I'm out $40 for a useless Early Bird, and now I have to pay another $80 at the gate for an A group boarding assignment. 

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

@chronos I can assure you that the flight attendants will not allow you to sit separate from a 7 year old child. They will find a way. In the past, they offered free booze. Not sure what they will do now, but they will make it work.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@chronos wrote:

In case anyone stumbles onto this thread, I have made this mistake recently and can confirm the issue. 

I checked into my flight close to 24hrs before departure and received a C10.  Since I would be travelling with 7 year old who is too old for 'Family Boarding' but too young to really sit alone, I needed two seats together. The Southwest app let me buy Early Bird check-ins AFTER I was already checked-in.  My card was charged immediately. 

It was a mistake on my part, and I thought I would be able to get a new boarding assignment, but no dice.  Nothing happened.  So now, I'm out $40 for a useless Early Bird, and now I have to pay another $80 at the gate for an A group boarding assignment. 

The system won't sell you EarlyBird Check-In when it's less than 36 hours prior to departure. You'll receive an error message that it's unable to add to that specific flight. Was your booking for a round trip? If so, it's most likely that EBCI was added to the return flight.