Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early Bird didn't work?

scottnearsmf
Adventurer B

Congratualtions, you A16 Position meant that you must have met an A-1 Rapid Rewards Priority Boarding requirement just prior to the flight where you earned your A16 position.  That position usually goes to the first reservation of a customer with Priority Rapid Rewards Priority Boarding privledges after the schedule is extended.

Tristan
Explorer C

Earlybird will get you checked in for your flight 36 hours prior to departure but does not guarantee a specific boarding position.

zonie
Explorer C

Never again. We never use early bird, but now that I am no longer A-list due to lack of travel, I thought I'd pay for a decent number. Waste of $60. It's just a B.S. scam from SWA. I wish EarlyBird would just go away. I do better without it.

I think it actually made our bording number WORSE.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@zone How so? Can you please provide more specifics? When did you check in? What position did you get?

I think people overlook one of the main benefits of EBCI, that you don't have to worry about checking in. If you are able to check in 24 hours prior it certainly isn't as attractive as it is in situations where check-in at T-24 is not possible or desired (while on vacation, early morning, while on another flight, etc). 

Fgriffin1
Explorer C

I get how early bird works but I’ve used it maybe 10 times this year and I’ve yet to get anything other than B. Your never getting another $40 at the AirPort fir something I already paid fir and did not get it. Ever!  

Definetly scammed. 

StAugustine
Frequent Flyer C

To me, early bird is worth it, not so much for the boarding position but for the automatic check in, which means that I don'st have to remember to do it myself. Especially since I like to get early-morning flights. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@StAugustine wrote:

To me, early bird is worth it, not so much for the boarding position but for the automatic check in, which means that I don'st have to remember to do it myself. Especially since I like to get early-morning flights. 

100% agree. While on vacation or even just when there's a super early flight, EBCI eliminates having to worry about checking in right at 24 hours prior. Instead of promoting an improved boarding position Southwest should promote the ease of mind EBCI provides.

--TheMiddleSeat

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

I think Early Bird Check In is worth the money. I pay for it and then don't worry about checking in until I'm ready to. I know that EBCI doesn't guarantee me a great boarding position and was expecting a B position for my next flight since I'm flying on a Friday afternoon. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised to get A43.

Maybe Early Bird isn't for everyone, but it totally works for me.

mjweber
Explorer C

I've used Early Bird for years and never had anything but an A position. Purchased it this time and the dreaded B48/B49. Glad it's a short flight and we aren't on a tightt deadline. No thanks, you won't get my extra $$ anymore for no benefit. I don't need to be checked in early, I can remember that myself. I'd rather have a choice of seat.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mjweber wrote:

I've used Early Bird for years and never had anything but an A position. Purchased it this time and the dreaded B48/B49. Glad it's a short flight and we aren't on a tightt deadline. 

That's pretty dismal!

If you've been getting A positions I wouldn't abandon the program necessarily after one time, but it doesn't seem to have provided much benefit on this flight. Did you have any late changes or other flight hiccups? Did it show "EBCI" on your boarding pass?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.