Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird is 100% a SCAM

sirmacalot
Explorer C

Booked a flight for me, my wife and 2 kids.   Bought Early Bird for the entire trip.  Verified I was charged and could see the logo on my reservation.

It's supposed to check you in automatically at the 36hr mark right?   So i check at the 36hr mark - nothing.  no notifications or email that i had been checked in.  When i clicked on my reservation details, it told me "you can only check in 24 hours prior"...  

Fast forward 12 hours and now it's 24hrs before my flight.  Still no notifications or emails that we have been checked in.  When i pull up my reservation, it has the big yellow "CHECK IN" button...  why though?  Shouldn't we have already been checked in automatically?  Hesitantly, I clicked on it.   And it's like I actually just checked in right then.  Entire family is in group B boarding.  and not even in the front - we are mid way through Group B.    

Called Customer Service and got zero explanations or help.  No refunds allowed.  But Family Boarding is in-between Group A and B!  I can board BEFORE my boarding position that Early Bird got me.   "Yes, that's true.  Do that."   WELL THEN WHY DID I NEED EARLY BIRD?!   GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK.  

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Early Bird is 100% a SCAM

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Your positions were assigned at t-36, but you can't "check in" and receive your boarding passes until t-24. At that time you'll see the positions that were assigned to you. It's this way with all pre-assigned positions -- Business Select, A-List -- not just EBCI. That's how it works.

EBCI positions are assigned chronologically based on when EBCI was purchased. So those who purchased early receive better positions. If changes were made to your itinerary (to a new flight or flight number), the EBCI "purchase date" becomes the date that change was made.

Unfortunately, EBCI does not guarantee an A boarding position, and as you've discovered it's possible to receive B (and even C) positions.

From the response you received from the phone rep, I assume they verified that EBCI was actually still attached to your booking. You can verify this yourself by looking for the text "EarlyBird Check-In" on your boarding passes.

sirmacalot
Explorer C

how do we know we got checked in automatically, though?   Yes, it was verified that I paid for Early Bird and it was on my ticket, but how do I know?   If I still have to click "CHECK IN" at the 24hr mark just to see my position, how do i know I didn't just check in right then?  There is ZERO assurance that you can know for sure.   For all I know, I checked myself in and that's why I have the Group B boarding spot.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You personally have to "check in" to get your boarding pass - so it more than just to "see your boarding position". That is not allowed more than 24 hours from time of departure.

If you can see Early Bird on your reservation You CAN know for sure that the airline obtained your boarding position 36 hours pre departure time.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@sirmacalot wrote:

how do we know we got checked in automatically, though?   Yes, it was verified that I paid for Early Bird and it was on my ticket, but how do I know?   If I still have to click "CHECK IN" at the 24hr mark just to see my position, how do i know I didn't just check in right then?  There is ZERO assurance that you can know for sure.   For all I know, I checked myself in and that's why I have the Group B boarding spot.

With Early Bird you will be checked in automagically "before" everyone else who checks in at the 24 hour mark - your position will certainly be better than those who have to check in to get their position. You can test this by checking in well after the 24 hour mark - say an hour or two or more later. Your position should still be relatively good which means Early Bird worked. Otherwise you'd be in the Cs. 

--Jessica

SWAscams
Explorer C

This is a false statement. I am currently on a flight where we know of multiple people that have no preferences (ie no EB, no A list, no biz, etc) and received higher priority boarding than our B40-B45. One even received an A boarding while parents, who paid for EB and booked at same time in same room, received B47+. 

DO NOT BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE TELLING YOU. THAT IS NOT HOW EARLY BIRD WORKS ANYMORE.

IT IS A SCAM!!!! 

Bringseth
Explorer C

This is exactly how I felt for all I know when I clicked check in it assigned me the seat then at the end of B group.   If it checks you in 36 hours in advance then they should be able to show you the group your in 36 hours in advance and a email saying we have early bird assigned you please check in for boarding pass.    I feel like early bird check in is just a money grab and I would have rather put that money towards upgrade boarding position where it guarantees a1-a15.   25 dollars isn’t the biggest loss of money I just wish I wouldn’t have done it and put it towards actually getting in A group for 50 dollars.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Always fun when someone complains about something they know nothing about. Sounds like everything worked 100% as it should. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Adam752
Explorer C

Don’t waste your money on early bird. I wouldn’t say it’s a scam. It’s more of an over promise and under deliver situation. 

If you call Southwest, they’ll tell you that early bird guarantees nothing however the emails they send before the flight seem to promise a great position on the plane. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@Adam752 Without A-List, your boarding position with EarlyBird will be better than without.

--TheMiddleSeat