Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early Bird is 100% a SCAM

sirmacalot
Explorer C

There is absolutely NO way you can know that.   You'll just blindly believe anything Southwest tells you.   No confirmation 36hrs before flight when you're supposedly checked-in via Early Bird.   No emails.  And when you want to check your position, it's conveniently unavailable.  So how can i know what my boarding position is?  "You can check your boarding position 24hrs prior to flight by clicking 'Check In'".   That doesn't seem the least bit suspicious to you?

Let's say you ordered something online.  And you paid extra so it would arrive early.  But there's no confirmation.  No email.  "We delievered it on time, trust us.  Don't worry, it's definitely in your mailbox.  Just don't check for like, another 12 hours.   But it's definitely in there."

dfwskier
Aviator A

@sirmacalot wrote:

There is absolutely NO way you can know that.    

Actually, there is. The next time two of you travel together, have one of you buy EB and the other not and check in manually.. Then compare boarding positions..

Let us know the results of that event.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Adam752 wrote:

I wouldn’t say it’s a scam. It’s more of an over promise and under deliver situation. 

The only promises that Southwest makes are:

1) You don't need to worry about checking in

2) You will get a better boarding position than if you check yourself in

How is that an over promise under deliver?

rich1954
Adventurer A

Looks like you wasted your money since you were eligible for family boarding. Expensive lesson learned.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@rich1954 Family boarding is only available for kids 6 years old or younger. OP did not provide the age of their kids.

--TheMiddleSeat

rich1954
Adventurer A

Claims he could have boarded between A and B. 

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are more than a few complaints here about the Early Bird Check In.  The general advice that is given here is correct.  All that is done is that you are automatically checked in, not guaranteed a better boarding position.

Personally, I have never used EBCI since I put a reminder on my phone 26 hours ahead of time to remind me.  Then, I have two hours to wait until I can check in.  I have occasionally forgot to check in and depending upon the flight, I still got a B20is spot.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a scam.  It is a service to automatically check you in.  However, it does not upgrade your boarding position.

Southwest is making extra money off passengers' anxiety of boarding the plane, that part is clear.  Everyone wants to be first on the plane to have a better choice of seats and have adequate overhead bin space.  My advice is to check your bags, check in through the normal process and keep your money in your pocket.

SWAscams
Explorer C

However, assuming automatic check-in at 36 hours, it would be impossible for someone with no preference (i.e. EB, biz, or A list, etc.) to receive a boarding before the EB. I am not expecting "better boarding position". I am expecting them to provide what they say they will which is earlier check-in than travelers with no preference. That is NOT the case, hence the reason it IS a SCAM.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWAscams wrote:

However, assuming automatic check-in at 36 hours, it would be impossible for someone with no preference (i.e. EB, biz, or A list, etc.) to receive a boarding before the EB. 

Not impossible and really not that uncommon. A-List traveler checks-in, gets A boarding position assigned, cancels reservation, that position is now available for the next passenger who is manually checking in. This happens rather frequently when an A-List passenger has a companion who nowadays receives sequential boarding with the A-List flyer. They've added the companion to the flight just in case their companion decides to fly, 24 hours prior to departure they decide to cancel the companion's sequential boarding position. That boarding position becomes available to the next person manually checking in.

--TheMiddleSeat

eosphorus
Explorer C

Or since they are charging people to give them an early bird they could pay a decent dev to write code to not make that seat available and instead assign it to the earliest person that bought an early bird and then keep following that algorithm till no early birds are left. Most other airlines do something similar. From a guy that was a dev in an airline