Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Boarding vs Saving Seats

REG205sig
Explorer C

My husband and I are both senior citizens. We travel extensively and use SWA whenever possible. Since early boarding fees are now $100 for 2 people for a round trip, and we always pay early board fees-we resent the non-SWA policy about saving seats.

if some people circumvent the fees by paying only one and then board and start saving 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 seats- that is unfair and not right. It’s either have a policy or not. When will SWA start realizing that this is very discriminatory especially to those who obey the rules and the law! I rue the person on our next flight who says to my husband-“I am saving these seats!”

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Early Boarding vs Saving Seats

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Southwest has a non policy on seat saving.

If you want to sit there, ignore the person saving the seat and just sit there.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@spacecoastbill wrote:

Southwest has a non policy on seat saving.

If you want to sit there, ignore the person saving the seat and just sit there.

I suspect that most people would prefer to not start their trips with a confrontation.

If you do, that is up to you.

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

I suspect that most people would prefer to not start their trips with a confrontation.

If you do, that is up to you.

Well, if you are going to infringe on my vacation, then yes, I will let you know about it.

I paid for the early boarding and a guy wanted to save a bulkhead seat, right where we paid the extra for a shot at sitting there.... and yes he was not a happy camper because we sat in the "saved" seat he was saving for his brither who was "right behind us"..... turned out to be in the C group.

So he was not only arrogant, but a liar, and almost got tossed off the flight for being a jerk.

jmcmd
Adventurer C
I agree wholeheartedly! I was on a flight form PBI to BWI yesterday. The flight was completely full and we were told over and over again to take the first empty seat seen to get out of the aisle so the flight could depart. I paid for early boarding and went to six middle seats and told they were being "saved". I ended up in the back of the plane with the "C" group, I would presume. I will complain to SWA concerning this. They need to enforce rules if they want to continue an open seating policy..

spacecoastbill
Frequent Flyer B

Next time that happens, just sit where you want.  People like to say the middle seat is saved so that they can have extra room. 

Ignore them.  If they continue to object, call the FA over.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Hello. Thanks fo sharing your opinion.

SInce this is a customer to customer forum, you won't solve your issue here.

I'd suggest that you sned your suggestion to the airline via one of the methods lited on the top left of the contact us webpage

https://www.southwest.com/contact-us/contact-us.html?clk=GFOOTER-CUSTOMER-CONTACT-US

jmcmd
Adventurer C

I did just that and complained to SWA after my trip with multiple "saved" seats.  It fell on deaf ears.  I was emailed back that "like" families sitting together, the perfect politically correct response, no attention to the finances of those of us who pay for earlier boarding, want to deplane quickly for connections, etc.  I wouldn't mind so much if at the end of the flight, passengers got up and left the plane in an expeditious manner, but, alas, they do not.  I fly other airlines whenever I can.  They just do not care.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

@jmcmd,

We do care, and it is our sincere hope that our Customers - all of them - enjoy the time they spend with us. Naturally, in a system where we have open seating, there occasionally will be situations where everyone doesn't end up in the exact seat they wanted. Hopefully, you will end up in a seat that you find comfortable the majority of the time. Our Flight Attendants are always willing to help re-seat Customers if necessary. Thank you for posting on the Southwest Community. I'm sorry you encountered a frustration situation on this last trip, but I do hope we'll be able to welcome you back for a future flight and better experiences. 

jmcmd
Adventurer C

Thanks for your response, but caring means addressing an obvious sore point with many passengers who fly frequently and who believe in rules and order, not chaos, which this policy often engenders.  Southwest is the only airline I fly that does this and apparently wants the dual benefit of the extra revenue from passengers purchasing earlier boarding without the down side of "disappointing" families and friends who want to be together.  Trying to please everyone generally ends up pleasing no one.