Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird/A-list keeping group together

MaryM
Explorer C

I am having issues with Southwest boarding sequence.

Example 1:

I have booked a flight for 3 people and purchased an early bird for everyone. We all ended up all over the A group. How are we supposed to go about it without saving a seat? And yes, i have seen your notes on "board with the latest spot", but why am i supposed to give up a better boarding spot that i paid for. We bought early bird option to be able to have a better sit selection and ensure we can all sit together. 

Example 2:

I am on the A-list and I travel with another person. I purchased an early bird for them, but their boarding spot is still far from mine. I am sorry, but i am not giving up a hard earned A-list benefit, because southwest does not give me another option. 

I should be able to save a seat or you can let A-list members with early bird travel companions board together in the A-List group (put them at the end of that group if it is such a big deal!)

There are not many people who travel alone (aside from business travel) and current A-list policy makes it completely useless.

1 REPLY 1

Re: Early bird/A-list keeping group together

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@MaryM wrote:

I am having issues with Southwest boarding sequence.

Example 1:

I have booked a flight for 3 people and purchased an early bird for everyone. We all ended up all over the A group. How are we supposed to go about it without saving a seat? And yes, i have seen your notes on "board with the latest spot", but why am i supposed to give up a better boarding spot that i paid for. We bought early bird option to be able to have a better sit selection and ensure we can all sit together. 

Example 2:

I am on the A-list and I travel with another person. I purchased an early bird for them, but their boarding spot is still far from mine. I am sorry, but i am not giving up a hard earned A-list benefit, because southwest does not give me another option. 

I should be able to save a seat or you can let A-list members with early bird travel companions board together in the A-List group (put them at the end of that group if it is such a big deal!)

There are not many people who travel alone (aside from business travel) and current A-list policy makes it completely useless.

In both of these situations I would be saving a seat for my wife. I wouldn't directly save an exit row seat, but other than that these two scenarios don't bother me personally since you do have EBCI for the slightly later people. They should still be A or early B positions, it won't be like they are the last people getting on the plane in C60+ and where it is one person who will likely sit in a middle, who cares?

if you have a big group and saving multiple rows that could be an issue, I'd suggest going towards the rear a little bit and it may still work out.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.