Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Early bird checkin

Debb0809
Explorer C

Same here.  Southwest should notify early bird customer at 36 hours of their position.  How do we know that we were actually assigned a position 36 hours in advance of flight time? When I inquired about it, I got their token vague response, talking around providing an answer.  This seems like a scam by southwest.  I use them a lot because convenient but think I will use all my points and start using another airline. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Good luck today. Hopefully the B number worked out for you to get a decent seat, there usually would be aisles and even some windows available to B1 to B15.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Whiskchef
Explorer C

Yup 👆🏼 I totally agree. Just  went through the same annoying process. It truly needs to be changed on the website and explained better. I love Southwest, but I feel like this is a scam.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

What makes you think this is a scam?  It's not explained really well by Southwest, but does work as intended, no scam here.  You buy it, don't have to worry about when you check-in and can print your boarding pass anytime within 24 hours of the flight or just show up and get your boarding pass at the airport.  

mtyducks10
Explorer C

I just went through this. I do not think the program is bad, it worked well for me. I think how it works is poorly communicated. Simply putting in the instructions and advertisement selling it that;

Ttrust that we are checking you in even though thte app and online will not show it until 24 hours prior to your flight, you still have to go in and checkin within 24 hours and then the boarding pass priority we reserved for you ahead of time will show up.

Thanks to the @SouthwestAir people on twitter I got that answer quickly. IM them if you have an issue and they respond quickly.

dawnarruda2
Explorer C

What if I haven't received my email yet? It says 36 hours in advance, it is now 31 hours before flight?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

You won't receive an email. If you've bought EarlyBird Check-In, you are automatically checked in at 36 hours prior to departure. Beginning at 24 hours prior to departure you can use the online check-in to see your position and print your boarding pass.

CoachDave
Explorer C

To be absolutely clear, you are saying that the position number is assigned 36 hours in advance and will be the same regardless of when I actually check in.   So if at 36 hours I'm assigned position A25 I can check in 24 hours in advance and will be in position A25,   If I wait and check in 3 hours in advance, I'm still at A25.

Is that correct?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

The Early Bird position is assigned at 36 hours, and then you can "claim" it whenever you like prior to the flight - you are no longer beholden to the 24-hour check-in, Early Bird has already assigned your number waiting for you to view it anytime.

Technically you do still need to "check-in" which lets Southwest know that you intend to fly and for you to claim your boarding pass, but this won't affect your Early Bird position.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.