Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early bird seating

KelleyC40
Explorer C

I purchased 7 tickets for family members under my rapid reward number.  Does each person have to purchase early bird seating? Do I check everyone in or does each person check in?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Early bird seating

dfwskier
Aviator A

Do you have 7 confirmation  numbers or one confirmation number?

KelleyC40
Explorer C

Just one confirmation #

KelleyC40
Explorer C

Just one confirmation 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think every one would need their own EB

You should be able to check everyone in at the same time.

Edit add

Any of the 7 A-List?

If so, I think that would give sequential boarding to all -- better than you could get with EB.

KelleyC40
Explorer C

Is it possible for just my husband and me (grandparents) to do early board seating and my daughter, her husband and three kids ages 10, 7 and 4 do family boarding after the A group?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@KelleyC40 wrote:

Is it possible for just my husband and me (grandparents) to do early board seating and my daughter, her husband and three kids ages 10, 7 and 4 do family boarding after the A group?

Family boarding is gray area in this one regard, the rules say two adults along with a child six or under.

An earlier thread pointed out that if someone wanted to define the older kids as other than adults we don't know where that leaves us.

Personally I think they would let them all board, but ask in advance so you aren't faced with a kid 10 or 7 years old being stuck in the C-group and the other adults already boarded.

But you won't have to check in anyone with the EBCI, they get their number assigned automatically at T-36 hours and only the non-EBCI people should check in right at 24-hours to get their assignment. The EBCI people can log in leisurely after that to find out.

Without any gray area, you'd have your daughter and her husband board with the 4-yo and get EBCI for you, your husband, and the other two older kids I guess.

But then try for more people at Family boarding which will likely be before EBCI positions.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

floridaguy
Aviator C

There is no gray area here.  After the last discussion, I called Southwest (when their phones still worked) and presented the question.

The agent told me that I was CORRECT in that the system requires FIRST AND FOREMOST that you have a child under the age of seven (six and under), then you look for UP TO TWO ADULTS to board with the child.

So, it all comes down to whether there is a child under the age of seven, or not.  If so, then that person is paired with not more than two adults.  Southwest considers adults to be someone of legal age at their point of departure, or generally 18.

Instead of thinking of this as "family boarding", think of this as "adults who can accompany a child under seven".  There is no provision to have ANYONE participate in family boarding unless you have a target individual under the age of seven.  

PERIOD - END OF DISCUSSION - PARTY OVER.

floridaguy
Aviator C

And, by the way, no one is "stuck" in C boarding group.  These people purchased tickets on Southwest KNOWING FULL WELL THAT THERE ARE NO ASSIGNED SEATS.  Now, they want to rearrange the airline policy and present as a needy family needing an accommodation.

There are plenty of other airlines that give you seating choices where you can all sit together.  To come here and whine to this board about family boarding is absolute nonsense.

No one is "stuck" - you have plenty of choices.